The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   wrist bands (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/21549-wrist-bands.html)

Antonella Thu Aug 04, 2005 08:33am

Sorry guys and gals... it really seems to me we're all out of track. IMO a rubber band on a wrist cannot NEVER NEVER NEVER be jewelry in the way the Rulebook intend it and it NEVER NEVER NEVER cannot be a safety issue.

JMO

A.

blue_ape Thu Aug 04, 2005 08:55am

This past weekend at a 10U tournament, a coach told me that one of her players broke a finger when it got caught in an opponent's LiveStrong band on a sliding tag play. I hadn't made players take them off before, but that changed my mind.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by blue_ape
This past weekend at a 10U tournament, a coach told me that one of her players broke a finger when it got caught in an opponent's LiveStrong band on a sliding tag play. I hadn't made players take them off before, but that changed my mind.

Then why wouldn't you make them remove their clothes, sweatbands and gloves because those items can cause the same injury if another player's finger is entangled with them during a play?

Antonella Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:16am

That's it.
Agree with you, Mike.
I was thinkin' exactly the same and you wrote it.

A.

scottk_61 Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:14pm

You know, an easier way to deal with this is the uniform rule.

If the whole team is wearing them, ignore it if they aren't all wearing it, comply with the uniform rule.

Persoanlly, I want all jewelry removed.

Years ago, I was one of three officials sued over a stud earring that we didn't see on a player.

My insurance settled as did the others.

Jewelry is for adornment, it has no place or use as a sporting device.

GET RID OF IT.

I have told adults to get rid of some earrings, and some necklaces but for the kids, toss it all.

However on the upside, if you have a metal detector work over the infield after a game and you might find some good stuff.
I sure have in years past.......diamond rings, earrings etc.

Dutch Alex Fri Aug 05, 2005 04:02am

Yesterday (thursday) the Dutch pro-soccer referees came together, because competition will start next weekend. They were ORDERED to get rid off all jewelry, INCL. rubber wristbands (such as LiveStrong).
I can imagine in all kinds of sport and in any league the UIC can/will/must give some points of notice for the next season. In the Neth.'s we do so for several years now. IMHO we should get rid off it now, but why not start taking action at the beginning of a competition? In that case all players can take notice off it and are warned in advance. When we take action during competition, you can have the argument: "Last weekend we could wear them. Why not now?" or things like that...

VaASAump Fri Aug 05, 2005 08:54am

Agree with Mike. ASA Rulebook does not say "ALL jewelry has to be removed."

Worked an ASA 16U/18U college showcase last weekend. Were told that all jewelry had to be removed. This presented a problem, as any unsigned player was wearing a colored wristband, designating school year. Made it easy for college scouts/coaches. But of course, there were some umpires who were trying to have ball players remove these bands as they were "jewelry." Glad it got resolved before it got ugly.

Serg

IRISHMAFIA Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by VaASAump

Worked an ASA 16U/18U college showcase last weekend. Were told that all jewelry had to be removed. This presented a problem, as any unsigned player was wearing a colored wristband, designating school year. Made it easy for college scouts/coaches. But of course, there were some umpires who were trying to have ball players remove these bands as they were "jewelry." Glad it got resolved before it got ugly.

Serg

Had the same thing happen here a couple of weeks ago. Even after being told the purpose of the wristband, there was an umpire who still wanted it removed. Don't think he'll be back next year.

BTW, Serg, when am I going to see Tidewater's check for the umpire's tournament :)

CecilOne Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

Had the same thing happen here a couple of weeks ago. Even after being told the purpose of the wristband, there was an umpire who still wanted it removed. Don't think he'll be back next year.

At the risk of losing an assignment, although trainable,
1) if we think an item is dangerous, aren't we ethically and by rule required to disallow it?
2) doesn't safety, real or perceived, come before college recruiting?

VaASAump Fri Aug 05, 2005 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Originally posted by VaASAump

Serg

BTW, Serg, when am I going to see Tidewater's check for the umpire's tournament :)

Mike, I'll get back to you on the check. :)

IRISHMAFIA Fri Aug 05, 2005 03:02pm

PLEASE NOTE: The tournaments which were referenced by Serg and myself were specifically held for the purpose of college recruiting.

People can carry on all the arguments they please, there is no way anyone can believe the wristbands which are the point of discussion in this thread can be dangerous as it relates to softball and not be over officious.

JMHO,

SRW Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:56am

Re: MLB

Quote:

Originally posted by SRW
Interesting photo here regarding wristbands...

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg....AvZ7tTe1QYkw--
Los Angeles Angels batter Garret Anderson (R) and home plate umpire Paul Nauert (L) watch his two-run home run off New York Yankees pitcher Mike Mussina in the second inning of their game in New York's Yankee Stadium July 29, 2005. The hit proved to be all that was needed as the Angels won 4-1. Photo by Ray Stubblebine/Reuters

Interesting: Same umpire, 7 days later...

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg....T1mCjw_PKpFQ--
Florida Marlins manager Jack McKeon, right, argues with home plate umpire Paul Nauert (96) in the eighth inning, Saturday, Aug. 6, 2005, in Cincinnati. McKeon was arguing a third strike. Cincinnati won, 4-3. (AP Photo/Tony Tribble)