The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently at least one township is tiring of the misbehavior of players in men's SP.

Last week, in a playoff game in one of the lower divisions, a runner from 1B ran on a fly ball, rounded 2B, took a few steps toward 3B, and, when the ball was caught, cut across the diamond to return to 1B. The ump called him out.

I was not able to learn whether the ump made the call gratuitously or responded to an appeal. (From the description of what happened, I assume that even if the call was technically improper, the defense was aware of the obvious infraction and was ready to appeal.) Regardless, whether or not there was a proper appeal was not at issue.

Anyway, the player called out went ballistic but managed to stay in the game. However, after his team lost, he sought out the umpire and berated him with obscene language. When the park director, also an ASA umpire, told the player that he had to leave the park, the player approached the director and pointed his bat at his face, uttering further obscenities.

I'm glad to report that the township recreation office has banned the player for life.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

While that is nice......

Wouldnt it be best to have the incident reported to the sanctioning body that was running the event? Why let the guy go to some other city and threaten those umpires with his bat.

Seriously, why do people feel that recreational softball is life or death? I am as competetive as it gets, but would never think of threatening a person with my bat.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Anyway, the player called out went ballistic but managed to stay in the game.
How????? I've been known to let people squawk at me; but as soon as you start yelling and flapping your arms, you're taking an early trip to the parking lot. No ballistics on my field unless it's a softball traveling off of a bat

Some umpires are even stricter about this than I am: they don't allow any dissention whatsoever, particularly from players. But I realize that some folks may not like some of my calls. Fine. Squawk all you like -- that's part of the game. Just don't turn violent or aggressive on me, and don't cuss at me or anyone else in the process.

From everything I've seen in my limited experience, if you let people like this get away with the first instance of aggression, it's gonna happen again: usually sooner than you'd like.

I'm glad they banned him, though
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't it be best to have the incident reported to the sanctioning body that was running the event? Why let the guy go to some other city and threaten those umpires with his bat?

This was not a tournament; it was a township rec league. So I guess the township is the closest thing to the sanctioning body.

However, it will be interesting to see what ramifications the lifetime ban has. To prevent just the kind of thing baldgriff mentions, our association has procured a reciprocal agreement among all the leagues in the county that the two-week suspension concomitant with an ejection applies to all leagues. In other words, a player who is thrown out of an ASA game in one league is suspended for two weeks and cannot play in any of the other county leagues for the same period.

This might even apply to the one league that USSSA umps work. I'm not sure.

One note: The automatic two-week suspension applies when the incident is reported to the league. The umpires sometimes don't report ejections for lesser offenses.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Even if it is a township rec league I would assume that either ASA or USSSA or whatever sanctioning body they use would want to be made aware of a player that threatens umpires with bats.

Regardless of whether it is a tournament or not. If you threaten an umpire like that it should be reported.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baldgriff
Even if it is a township rec league I would assume that either ASA or USSSA or whatever sanctioning body they use would want to be made aware of a player that threatens umpires with bats.

Regardless of whether it is a tournament or not. If you threaten an umpire like that it should be reported.
Yes, ASA could address this, but it would take a fair amount of commitment from the local ASA folks and mucho cooperation from the township. It would then go to a hearing, and the player would still have an appeal.

Unfortunately, it is the umpire assn. that must lead this battle and sometimes becomes a "vindictive umpire thing" to the locals who will retreat stating the it's only a game and they don't want the responsibility of screwing up someone's life. However, the sanctioning body can continue with a penalty hearing. The key here is that the local commissioner MUST forward the results of any suspension to OKC (ASA) which in turn will inform all the adjoining ASA associations.

We have just gone through this recently which is why I have an idea of how the process works. If OKC isn't notified, the adjoining assns. haven't a clue as to any suspensions.

Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised no one has even mentioned the possibility of filing a police report for assault. While I know this may be an extreme to some, it shouldn't be tolerated in any situation. Sticking a bat in someone's face and cursing them is clearly assault and it would at least possibly send a clear message to the rest of the league that this will not be tolerated and perhaps teach the guy a valuable lesson about how not to act in public.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised no one has even mentioned the possibility of filing a police report for assault.

True. One of the regular umps in that league is a police officer of that township, too. Our association has often talked about filing charges, but I don't believe we ever have done so.

Some townships are so fed up with the drinking that they have asked the umpires to call the police immediately if they notice any alcohol in the parks.

When I played softball (from the 60s to the mid-80s), many of the parks permitted canned beers, but only if they were accompanied by food. Drinking in the parking lot after the game was ignored. Today, all alcohol is banned. Of course, that doesn't stop players from drinking before the game. The five or six worst incidents I've seen as an umpire all had alcohol at the root of the problem.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 12:16pm
In Time Out

More whiskey?

Given that your "5 or 6 worst incidents ... all had alcohol at the root of the problem", more whiskey may not be a good idea!
Old Sat Jul 30, 2005, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

I would think that by putting complaints on file with the police, ASA, the township, etc would be of some use the next time this guy steps out of line. League directors can make decisions to put better umps on that field, better site mgmt on hand, and will maybe want to keep an eye on "bat boy" himself. Usually the directors from one township talk to the directors from others and so now everyone can be aware that they have a potential hot-head on their hands. I think it's a way of CYA.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Just one reason why I gave up SP after 1994 except for an ocassional game. I called about 2 weeks worth of Men's SP in a B/C league in 1997, to get ready for a 14U SP National that my ASA Deputy asked me to call as a host umpire. That was all the Bubbas I could take.
IMHO, the worst SP men are the lower levels that drink and play. The A guys usually are not trouble at all. Most of B guys are ok too, but the C, D and Rec are big trouble for the most part. We've had them back umpires into the fence, cuss 1" from their faces, hold up bats, etc., etc. Too much drama for me!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

There's now some talk about whether the reciprocal agreement among county townships will extend to the lifetime ban for this particular player. We should know next week. I hope it does.

I agree that the lower levels of SP are where the problems usually arise.