The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

This happened in a game I was playing about 20 years ago & I've been curious ever since. Forgive me if this question sound stupid, but I'm not an upmire.
Runners on 1st & 2nd (ASA rules), base hit to outfield. Lead runner attempting to score arrives as thrown ball arrives at home plate. Collision takes place. Runners momentum takes him beyond home plate by several feet but he did not make contact with home plate. Ball (which was missed by the catcher) rolls to the backstop. Runner from first then cleanly touches home without incident. The pitcher picks up the ball at the backstop and tags the lead baserunner (still sprawled on the ground from collision). Does the other run (man from 1st) count or not. I thought he should have been ruled out for passing the lead runner.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Once the runner acquired home, there is no longer a lead runner for the purpose of that rule. Acquiring home, for the purpose of the rule, also means having passed home, whether or not it was touched by the previous runner.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

What would have happpened if the injured runner had came to his senses and touched home plate after the trailing runner had done so.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

A runner who has missed the plate cannot return to touch it once a following runner has scored.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

True, grey - but the init poster's contention that the 2nd runner passed the 1st is not true, and the 2nd run would score, even if the 1st was called out on appeal after that (timing play).

(Of course, there could be SOMEthing different in the rules 20 years ago that I'm not aware of).
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

the init poster's contention that the 2nd runner passed the 1st is not true

Right. Many people assume that some sort of "passing" has taken place in such a situation, but passing must involve physical passing on the basepaths, not simply touching a base that a previous runner missed.

It would have helped if the original thread had specified the number of outs, too. For example, if the play started with 2 outs and the appeal of the first runner had been upheld, then the run "scored" by the following runner would not count.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Greymule,
Are you sure that run would not have counted? R1 on 2nd R2 on 1st, if R2 touches home prior to R1 being tagged then the run would have counted as this appeal for the missed base is a timing play in this case correct? Now if bases were loaded then I would agree with you as the runner would not hvae advanced safely and the 3rd out in that case would have nullified the run.

But in the situation as described I think if R2 touched plate prior to F1 tagging R1 then we would have a run scored no matter how many outs there were. Am I thinking right??
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Not true, Grey - the run DOES count. That was my point above. The appeal is a timing play, not a force, and there is no basis for denying the run if scored prior to the appeal.