The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Illegal Glove (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/21386-illegal-glove.html)

whiskers_ump Sat Jul 23, 2005 06:22am

Once again Mike has dug, dug.....

Good call Blue....

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 25, 2005 01:48pm

After receiving a nice e-mail from Mr. Gilligan, I have learned that a hold has been put on this ruling.

Apparently, Akadema is providing the ASA with a glove for examination.

So, don't go throwing out any of these gloves yet.

VaASAump Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:45pm

Latest update from Kevin Ryan. Just received this from our regional UIC.

Staff,

I have received one of the Akadema gloves, Reptilian Model, from one of our vendors to review it at the request of several individuals in our office. The inside of the this piece of equipment is one piece and the outside appears to have finger slots. There are actual slots for the fingers to fit into. The last inch of the area we call fingers are separated and held together by lacing. I still do not feel this fits the classic definition of a glove. However our rule book does not define a glove or a mitt. Because of that I have been asked to rescind the first email.

This glove under our current rules can NOT be ruled Illegal and CAN be used by position players other than catchers and first base man. So bottom line the glove is LEGAL under our current rules. I apologies for the confusion caused by my interpretation. Please send this out to your personnel so that everyone gets the information. Whoever posted it on a website please do so to this email also.

Again accept my apology for causing any confusion in your regions.

Respectfully,

Kevin G. Ryan
Associate Director of Membership Services
Director of Umpires

JEL Wed Jul 27, 2005 03:22pm

Thanks Serg, and Mike.

Now we know how to rule on this one if it it seen.

emaxos Wed Jul 27, 2005 08:49pm

Just a suggestion that this reversal on the glove be placed in a new message thread by the author to increase its exposure.
Follow up discussions that reach into the 2-3 page range sometimes get overlooked.

EdJW Fri Jul 29, 2005 09:52pm

Answer to Irish's question. The NSA World Series has teams from the same number of countries that have had teams potentially eligible to play in the major league baseball World Series.

AtlUmpSteve Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by EdJW
Answer to Irish's question. The NSA World Series has teams from the same number of countries that have had teams potentially eligible to play in the major league baseball World Series.
Are you sure about that? There are two countries in MLB; Toronto is still in, even though Montreal is out.

What is the 2nd country in NSA?

JEL Sat Jul 30, 2005 04:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
[.

What is the 2nd country in NSA? [/B]

Alabama!

(couldn't resist)

EdJW Sat Jul 30, 2005 08:58pm

A 14u team from Canada stayed at our hotel.

outathm Sat Jul 30, 2005 09:48pm

I had one of these gloves in my game today and it is definately a glove. I have used a mitt for my whole playing career and this is not like any mitt I ever used. I know my opinion doesn't add up to much, but when you see it you will recognize it as a glove and not a mitt.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 31, 2005 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by EdJW
A 14u team from Canada stayed at our hotel.
And two countries from the Northern half of the Western Hemisphere constitute the "World"?

Sorry, it just isn't a "world" series, but then again, neither is MLB's playoffs.

After all, isn't the all-time professional world home run leader not a former MLB player?

Dakota Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:08pm

Quite a hobby horse you have there, Mike.

Face it, the name "World Series" was used by MLB well before there were any teams from Canada. In the common lexicon it has come to mean a diamond sports championship series.

MY objection to calling tournaments the ____ SERIES is the word "series." There is no "series." You're lucky if the tournament is double elimination.

(Recent NCAA CWS and WCWS being the exception, as they now have a 3 game series for the championship.)