The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Angry

A question for any ASA Softball officials. Played a game last night and were down in the Bottom of the 7th - 13-11 with 1 out and a man on second. The play prior to the calling of the game was a blooper into LF where the short fielder and LF collided.

The game was called in the middle of the inning due to darkness and we did not protest due to the fact that this is a Christian Softball Association located in Rhode Island.

What is the ruling on this? The game was delayed by 40 minutes since a player broke his ankle at the top of the inning at a play at third where his foot jammed into the ground.

My question is - could we protest this game and if the protest is granted in our favor where does the game resume or is the game played in its entirity and the stats are cleared.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

First, you would have to determine if your league has any rule which declares games called for darkness as suspended. If not, the score reverts to the end of the previous inning, since the home team was unable to have an opportunity to complete the seventh. If the score was tied after 6, it is a regulation tie game, and, again, it would be up to your league rules if that stays a tie, is suspended, or requires a replay.

What is it you want to protest? That the umpire judged it too dark to continue play safely? That the runner broke an ankle? That play was suspended to safely address the broken ankle? They all sound pretty much like losers to me.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Angry ASA Rules

The visitor was ahead 7-6 after 6 innings of play. The injury took place around 50-60 miniutes prior to the game being halted due to darkness. So, darkness was not an issue at the time of the injury.

I believe the umpire was fearful of more injury when he saw the collision in LF after we scored to make it 13-11.

To my knowledge there is no league rule about halting a game in the middle of the inning. On top of this, which I forgot to mention, our pitcher was asking prior to the 7th inning if he could see OK - he answered he was fine. The umpire also prior to the beginning of the bottom of the 7th if the visiting teams' pitcher was OK and if he could see and they said it was fine.

Eventhough it is a Christian League and the outcome is secondary - I think this was handled incorrectly and am debating a protest before the 24 hour period expires.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

What was handled incorrectly? What rule was misapplied that you would cite in your protest? It is the umpire's judgemnt that it was too dark to continue, and he made that decision when it became too dark, in his opinion; that is what he should do. If it was light enough previously, as you stated, he did the right think in continuing. If it became too dark NOW, he did the right thing stopping the game.

Makes no difference to me, but so far, your only basis for protest is that your team lost based on a judgment call that it was unsafe to continue. It would clearly be seen as sour grapes when reviewed, and couldn't be won.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Angry ASA ruling

I can see where it can be viewed as sour grapes; I just didn't think a game could end in the middle of an inning due to darkness when 5-8 minutes earlier when the bottom of the 7th started - it was fine for the visiting team, their coach and their pitcher.

Thanks.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

ASA Rule 10-8-A
Quote:
Umpires may suspend play when, in their judgment, conditions justify such action.
ASA Rule 5-3-C
Quote:
A game called by the umpire shall be regulation if five or more complete innings have been played, or if the team second at bat has scored more runs in four or more innings that the other team has scored in five or more innings. The umpire is empowered to call a game at any time because of darkness, rain, fire, panic, or any other cause that places the patrons or players in peril.
Unless you have local rule to contermand these, your umpire acted properly and within his authority, your game was official, your team lost 7-6, and there is nothing to protest.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: ASA ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by spmeg77
I can see where it can be viewed as sour grapes; I just didn't think a game could end in the middle of an inning due to darkness when 5-8 minutes earlier when the bottom of the 7th started - it was fine for the visiting team, their coach and their pitcher.

Thanks.
Would you suggest that the umpire continue playing into the darkness?

Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up ASA rule

Our first 5 players scored in less than 7-8 minutes because of the possibility of darkness - we were all hitting on the first or second pitch.

And since I played LF in the top of the 7th and made two putouts....sure I think it was playable, but, it was his call and I posted here just to get feedback.

I am happy to hear the umpire made the right call. No protest and I emailed the commissioner of the league stated that we lost 7-6 after 6 innings due to darkness.