The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Well, it got me this weekend. Thought I had prepared in the days leading up to the games - apparently not enough. 2 games Thurdays, unexpectedly alone, 2 games Friday, and 1 game Saturday - all in warm temps 85 or so) and high humidity (over 90%). I noticed Friday that I was just a bit off - and realized in the 4th inning that it was my timing that was too quick. Made the needed adjustment & finished fine. Lots of sleep Friday night and lots of the right fluids. But the game Saturday wiped me out - large bottle of gatorade-like stuff before the game & 3 bottles of water during the game. I finished the game, but don't remember much beyond the 5th. Got home, slept about 13 hours, ate & then made the long haul to the couch for a nap.

Sometimes, the test of "if you don't have to go, you need to drink" may not be enough - as I had to go regularly all along.

Thursday's games had some intensity - decent-to-good 18&U a teams - but not like Friday & Saturday. Friday & Saturday were men's A's & majors.

So, maybe we need to think about the intensity level of the games, too. All seems to be OK, but I'm taking myself out of a tournament this weekend that has some of the top men's teams in the world involved - don't know that I could handle the intensity need.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Some of us worked 17 games over the weekend outside Chicago. 4 games (all were one umpire) on Friday, 6 on Saturday (2 were one umpire) and 7 on Sunday at a ASA Metro. We started at 12:30 on Friday and 8:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday and finished each night at about 10:00 p.m. Temps were in the mid - high 90's and high humidity and we only had 1 umpire feel a little woozy. Lots of ice water and gatorade with raw fruits and vegetables between games. We were supposed to work 2 on and one off but most times we worked 3, 4 or in some cases 5 in a row without a break as the start times started to scatter caused by games running late due to international tiebreakers or teams moving from field to field and waiting for other games to finish. As a whole we rather work in those conditions opposed to the 30 degree game time temps with wind chills in the teens to twentys in late March to early April.

You warm weather guys should try some of those cold weather games and you wouldn't complain about the heat.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

cold sucks

Thinking of those cold weather games in the Chicagoland area is what makes me get through weekends like we just had. Cold weather is the sole reason I don't work high school ball. I absolutely hate working when it's cold.

Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Glad you are OK Steve.

We start the 18U Nationals in Beaumont, Texas Monday. Have already started on the
fluids, fruit, and cut out the coffee, sodas, etc. Temps and humidity has been above
normal past three weeks. Worked the La. (AFA) State tournament this weekend and
we lost two umpires. Weekend before worked the Tx. (AFA) State and we lost one umpire
three players, and even a coach.

I was suppose to go to Fl. for the USFA WS, but opted out. That is a week long event
followed by another week long event. My 69 years of age are starting to make me smarter, I
think. LOL

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Dealing with the heat --

The weekend of the 9th and 10th I did 18 games at a 14U slowpitch tourney in 2 days. Saturday I did 10 games, Sunday 8. The temps were mid 90's and high humidity. How to deal with it (besides drinking gallons of water)?

Make sure you get cooled off between games. The best way I have found to do that is keep a cooler with water and ice in it. Throw some hand towels and wash rags in it. Between games wash off with these wash rags and tuck a towel in around your neck. This will cool you off quickly, becuase the cold towel with cool your blood running through the neck line. Like wise getting cold water on your arms and face will be refreshing.

That has been my heat breaker for a long time and I have not been beaten by it. The other thing I do is chew a piece of gum during the game as a monitor. If I lose my spit, well I am in trouble.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Bald,
Until last weekend, I'd have said the same thing - except I don't chew gum as I lose too many fillings that way.

My point was - we can prepare, and should - and even then may have that sneak up on us.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

another tip

Even better than cold, wet towels is cold, wet towels with just a bit of spirits of ammonia. Be sure not to get any in your eyes. However, the night before add just a drop of spirits of ammonia to some water, soak the towels, then put each towel into a Ziploc or other bag that you'll be sure won't leak. Put 'em in the freezer, then pack them in your ice chest the next day.

I'm not certain of the scientific workings of the ammonia, but it does help to cool you down more quickly than just plain ice-cold water, AND the little zip of ammonia triggers something in your system to help you be more alert.

Athletes in many sports have been doing this for years - and more than one umpire, too.

BTW, if you have a small enough rag/cloth, you can do the same thing to these and have them fit very nicely under your cap while you work.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

One of the most important aspects of heat exhaustion and God forbid heat stroke is to keep an eye on yourself and each other if your in a two man system. Aside from taking all the precautions you can at the first sign of symptoms get yourself out of the game. Aside from staying at a Holiday Inn last night and feeling very smart this info is easily accessible on the internet.

[b]Heat exhaustion[b/] is one of the heat-related syndromes, which range in severity from mild heat cramps to heat exhaustion to potentially life-threatening heatstroke.

Signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion often begin suddenly, sometimes after excessive exercise, heavy perspiration and inadequate fluid intake. Signs and symptoms resemble those of shock and include:

Feeling faint
Nausea
Ashen appearance
Rapid heartbeat
Low blood pressure
Hot, red, dry or sweaty skin
Low-grade fever, generally less than 104 F
If you suspect heat exhaustion:

Get the person out of the sun and into a shady or air-conditioned location. Lay the person down and elevate the feet slightly. Loosen or remove the person's clothing.
Have the person drink cool water, not iced, or a sports drink containing electrolytes. Cool the person by spraying him or her with cool water and fanning. Monitor the person carefully. Heat exhaustion can quickly become heatstroke. If fever — especially greater than 104 F, fainting, confusion or seizures occur, dial 911 or call for emergency medical assistance.

Heatstroke is similar to heat cramps and heat exhaustion. It's one of the heat-related problems that often result from heavy work in hot environments, usually accompanied by inadequate fluid intake. Older adults, people who are obese and people born with an impaired ability to sweat are at high risk of heatstroke. Other risk factors include dehydration, alcohol use, cardiovascular disease and certain medications.

What makes this syndrome much more severe and potentially life-threatening is the fact that the body's normal mechanisms for dealing with heat stress, such as sweating and temperature control, are lost. The main sign of heatstroke is a markedly elevated body temperature — generally greater than 104 F — with changes in mental status ranging from personality changes to confusion and coma. Skin may be hot and dry, although in heatstroke caused by exertion, the skin is usually moist.

Other signs and symptoms may include:

Rapid heartbeat
Rapid and shallow breathing
Elevated or lowered blood pressure
Cessation of sweating
Irritability, confusion or unconsciousness
Fainting, which may be the first sign in older adults
If you suspect heatstroke:

Move the person out of the sun and into a shady or air-conditioned space. Dial 911 or call for emergency medical assistance. Cool the person by covering him or her with damp sheets or by spraying with cool water. Direct air onto the person with a fan or newspaper.

Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

You can go here: http://eteamz.active.com/softballumpires/handouts/,
Go to Heat and Humidity for all the information needed.

Thanks to Tom - Dakota.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

It makes a huge difference the type of softball umpired in extreme heat conditions.Working the plate in a high level fastpitch game as opposed to a slowpitch game is like night and day.In my area,the slow pitch guys are wearing shorts as the fast pitch guys are wearing long navy blue pants with equipment.Alot more difficult to keep focus calling an hour and 45 minute fastpitch game than an under one hour slowpitch game.
I did three games two weekends ago in a Womens Major 4th of July tournament featuring many Div I and II college players and that was enough for one day.Any more than that,and I feel I wouldnt be able to be 100% at all times.The key as everyone has said is keeping hydrated,but working the plate at a high level fastpitch game is quite a challenge.I know exactly what Steve M. is talking about.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Yo, Jeff. This happened near where I think you are. Friday's games were in Lebanon & Saturday's were in Lyons. Carl came down & worked one of the early games - it was good to see him.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Bald,
Until last weekend, I'd have said the same thing - except I don't chew gum as I lose too many fillings that way.

My point was - we can prepare, and should - and even then may have that sneak up on us.

You still got teeth?
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

"You still got teeth?"

roflmao - yeah, I still have them. I'm in Pennsylvania, not WVa or Ark, or some of those other places.....
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to coachsara Send a message via Yahoo to coachsara
Talking easy now!

I am in Arkansas and I still have all of mine. :-D

Try a sunny 99 degrees, humidity at 90%...that's what we're working in all week this week doing IBSA worlds.

We've got inhalers, ice packs, great tourney directors watching over us making sure we're hydrated and ok.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Sara,
Is it ever NOT humid in Arkansas?

BTW, I heard the library is getting a THIRD book.