The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 07, 2001, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting couple 'a games today on a saurate field. Visiting coach would have preferred not to play, but home coach insisted field could be made playable - and it was for the most part. Game 1 kinda uneventfu except I nenver did get comfortably set as PU. Slick behind F2 and I finally ended up calling from directly behind home plate - kinda like the old AL box - didn't matter whether batter was righty or lefty. I'm sure I missed a couple but I'm chalking that up to slippage.
Partway through game 2, visiting coach decides to send DP in to field for F9. Partner OK's & we explain to home coach. He doesn't understand but knows us well enough that he sez if you two say it's OK then I accept that. Then when F9 comes to bat, scorekeeper sez he's got a problem - seems he's the regular baseball scorekeeper and pinch hitting for the sotball scorekeeper. So partner calls me in from bases to explain DP/DEFO to scorekeeper and again to home coach. Scorekeep sez but when the DH went in, they gave up that position and then the original F9 batted, that's gotta be either an illegal sub or BOO. Not that I have a firm handle on how baseball's DH rules work in the various sanctioning bodies, but I had to explain that this is softball and the DP is the single most potent and flexible position in the book. Finally ended with "well, OK, but I don't like it." I walked back to field position silently - but thinking who cares if you like it, them's da rules.

2 games tomorrow, 1 on Monday & Tuesday, then another 2 on Wednesday. and they say the temp will get to near 70 tomorrow - all right - maybe a game with no sweatshirts and jacket. Let's play 2 - ooooops already playing 2.

Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Good to see ya finally getting in some games Steve.......now if we can get Mike through therapy.......everyone will be calling.

Joel
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Getting closer. Out of the pool and back on land this week.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Had a great weekend. Did 17 ASA games in two (2) days in
a Fun N Sun tournament. 14U oldest teams down thru 10U.
Pools games 50 minutes drop, then bracket 70 minutes finish
inning. Need more tournaments like this, everything went
on schedule and no IF game. Three NFHS games this week then
off for Easter break.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.