The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Dislocated jaw

Many moons ago in Muleshoe (yes, Muleshoe), TX.

Senior Babe Ruth. Kid is throwin somewhere in the 90s (made it to AAA and all of a sudden - dead arm). Top of 7, 2 outs, me and this kid have a perfect game going. Batter meekly tips one back just over top of catcher's mitt and kablooey.

We needed one more strike to end game and tournament...so I stuck it out...called a muffled strike three. Partner drove me 3 blocks to hospital where they examined and x-rayed and popped jaw back into place.

Still hurts when I yawn too much (only happens during slow pitch games), and it's been 22 years.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to coachsara Send a message via Yahoo to coachsara
ouch

I thought mine was bad until I read some of these.

Dislocated shoulder (not to mention the ugliest bruise) last week after taking a 14-under fast pitch foul off the shoulder. It caught me between the pads.

going to invest in a better chest protector...
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

My worst shot came as a player, not an umpire. Ball skipped of the plate right into my cup. You don't talk in a high squeaky voice, you just vomit. There is no breathing in or out, just vomiting. Spent the next several days with my package packed in ice.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Stop Stop Stop already!! Please!! I am in pain just reading these posts.
Where can I purchase hockey goalie protection type equipment?
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Anywhere they sell Hockey supplies? LOL

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Worst shot:
Took a fastball square to the wrist doing Jr. High baseball, kid was probably pitching mid to upper 70s. Within about 3 minutes, you could have fit that baseball inside my wrist it was that big. Never did get it checked out, it still hurts if i tap on it today (the shot was a year and a half ago).

Wors string of shots:
In the course of 1 inning (about 10 minutes from first shot to last). Foul ball off of my left arm just under the protector, foul ball off of my right hand, 2 fouls on consecutive pitches straight to the mask (both hit and dropped right in front of me, not mere deflections), and a pitch in the dirt that bounced untouched right into my cup. This was also Jr. High summer ball and it was a couple of weeks ago. Home coach being the funny guy he is walks out with about 6 bags of ice before the next inning. He truly felt sorry for me back there. Visiting coach not to be outdone, offered to let me sit in their rather large cooler they had there and he'd go get bags of ice from the local store. I'll remember that inning for a long time.

-Josh

Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
8 years ago, I was doing a 14-U FP game. I was the PU. My mechanics were sloppy and it was all my fault. I got into the slot with my legs spread into a V. The batter fouled one back right into the inner part of my left knee. If I'd been down right, it would have hit the front of the shin guard on the knee pad. Anyway, I tried to finish the game, barely finished the inning. When I got out to the truck, I tried to take off the equipment. I found out that my knee was so swollen that I had to cut my pants to get the pants leg up enought to see my shin guard strap had sunk into the swelled skin. Missed the rest of the summer on that one.

Sloppy and lazy will bite you in the @$$ everytime.
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
I got one, it is in rec ball jr. girls fastpitch. The pitcher can throw pretty good. while the the ball comes in and hits the ground on the left side of the plate, the batter swings, the catcher miss the ball, the ball comes and hits me in the jewels, but it does not hit me directly, it comes in under my cup, I wear a curve banana shape cup, dam if it didn't come under the cup. all i could say is ohhhhhhhhhh, i almost fell to my knees, but I got up turn to the backstop and held the fence up for a couple of minutes to recover, while my partner comes up, she is a female, and jokingly she said you know that there is nothing that I can't do to help.
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

ouch

Behind the plate, b/r at 2nd, line drive sharp up the middle. B/R is fast, ball fielded clean and thrown to cut-off who fires it home. Im in position for the play at the plate. This is where I find out he has a gun, but the sites are off. He hits me right in the right kidney. I might have been a little out of position, but not that bad.
I couldve cried it hurt awful for several days. Who wouldve thought we needed kidney belts?
Old Sun Jul 17, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Re: ouch

Quote:
Originally posted by rhsc
Behind the plate, b/r at 2nd, line drive sharp up the middle. B/R is fast, ball fielded clean and thrown to cut-off who fires it home. Im in position for the play at the plate. This is where I find out he has a gun, but the sites are off. He hits me right in the right kidney. I might have been a little out of position, but not that bad.
I couldve cried it hurt awful for several days. Who wouldve thought we needed kidney belts?
The late Bernie Berman, who was our local assignor,HS association founder (and NYS ASA UIC for a lonng time),always said that you could wear EVERY piece of protective gear available,and that ball WILL find that one microscopic piece of body NOT protected...

and oh yes; did you pee blood??

[Edited by ASA/NYSSOBLUE on Jul 17th, 2005 at 11:29 AM]
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

A couple come to mind from HS Fast Pitch--
once with a lefty batter I took a foul ball to
my right elbow-- it popped a bursa and swelled
up like a balloon !! I wrapped it in ice and went
out on the bases for the rest of the game.
the other was a foul ball that bounced up and
caught my ring finger-- my wedding band cut
my finger !
After that, I also began putting my hands behind
my knees before the pitch !!
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I'm the PU in an adult co-ed low division slow pitch game. My catcher (female) is afraid of the ball, and stands/squats about 4 feet behind where she really should be. I have to stand beside her/almost in front of her to be able to call balls and strikes.

You guessed it....the batter foul tips me right in the face. Fortunately I kept all of my teeth, but I did have a very large gash inside of my mouth with quite a bit of blood. I was stunned, but it didn't really hurt--actually my face went a little numb. I told my partner I could continue, but if blood started to trickle down onto my shirt to let me know and I'd leave.

I finished that game (and the next) and then went to the ER. I called hubby and said "guess where I am". Thank goodness it wasn't anything major (no stitches because it was in my mouth per ER doc), but this was over two months ago, and I still have a knot in my cheek where things have mostly healed up.

Lesson learned: next time move the catcher or just call everything a "ball" until she moves into proper position. Screw being a "nice gal".

Just think of all the times a player really wanted to sock one of us in the jaw!!

Diana