The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Saw this recently at agame .
4 man team
PU watching runner going to first as runner comes into 3rd .
Runner goes past 3rd and gets tagged 1/2 down line to home and PU who has moved up that way to take the runner calls the out .
Meanwhile 3rd base umpire comes down the line yelling obst I had obst .
PU quickly kills the ball ( the BU didnt ) and talks with BU who states he had obs after rounding 3rd and runner should get home .
PU says hold on would the runner have made home if no obs .
Answer , no , ok we will have them safe on third .
PU walks away and base coach talks to BU and all of a sudden BU is telling PU , no I made a mistake OBS was before the base and the out should stand . Ok we will live with that but offensive coach is not happy .
How do you handle the situation and guess who gets the blame from a very partisan crowd .
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by debeau
Saw this recently at agame .
4 man team
PU watching runner going to first as runner comes into 3rd .
Runner goes past 3rd and gets tagged 1/2 down line to home and PU who has moved up that way to take the runner calls the out .
Meanwhile 3rd base umpire comes down the line yelling obst I had obst .
PU quickly kills the ball ( the BU didnt ) and talks with BU who states he had obs after rounding 3rd and runner should get home .
PU says hold on would the runner have made home if no obs .
Answer , no , ok we will have them safe on third .
PU walks away and base coach talks to BU and all of a sudden BU is telling PU , no I made a mistake OBS was before the base and the out should stand . Ok we will live with that but offensive coach is not happy .
How do you handle the situation and guess who gets the blame from a very partisan crowd .
Sounds like you need to blame this on U2, the umpire not the band. Why? Because s/he probably isn't involved in the conversation with the coaches!
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

No I wasnt involved but a colleague of mine was and believe it or not all umpires were ISF ( two were also ASA )not that this has anything to do with it but it happened at the Junior Boys world champs recently in Canada .
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by debeau
No I wasnt involved but a colleague of mine was and believe it or not all umpires were ISF ( two were also ASA )not that this has anything to do with it but it happened at the Junior Boys world champs recently in Canada .
Missed the joke. The point was to blame it on whomever wasn't there to defend themselves.