The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Blue,

What is your prefered protocal (rule book aside) for a coach to appeal a call such as follows?

1. Coach disagrees with a BU call and wants a PU decision.
2. Coach disagrees with a PU call and wants a BU input.

I'm talking about just basic procedure.
Seriously.

Coach12
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Coach12
Hey Blue,

What is your prefered protocal (rule book aside) for a coach to appeal a call such as follows?

Coach is wrong, ignore him.

See answer #1

Seriously.

Coach12

Sorry, I couldn't resist
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Whenever a coach or player wants a second opinion on a call, the protocol is to call time and quietly/politely ask the official who made the call to ask the other official for an opinion.
The "other" official can then privately give the calling official his/her opinion if possible and the calling official decides whether to change the call or not.

Please rememeber the word "appeal" has specific meanings in the rule book, so it is less confusing to say opinion or view.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

I, personally, know those (hopefully) few calls were I might have been blocked or something funky happened and in that case if a coach comes out, I have no problem asking my partner for help. At the same time, though, if the ump saw it clearly, they probably won't ask and you have to accept that.

As for a process... ask for time, when it is granted come out and politely ask umpire what they saw. If you disagree (which I'm sure you do, if you're out there ), politely ask if they would check with their partner. Again, it's the calling umpire's decision if s/he wants to ask for help or change their call. I have to say, the main thing coaches do wrong is come out of the dugout with a lot of hostility. Umpires tend to take coaches more seriously when they are not ranting and raving about everything.

Sara
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
Quote:
Originally posted by Coach12
Hey Blue,

Coach is wrong, ignore him.

See answer #1

Seriously.

Coach12

Sorry, I couldn't resist
Just as I have always suspected! (ha ha)
Thanks I think,
Coach12

[Edited by Coach12 on Jul 10th, 2005 at 01:31 AM]
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I, personally, know those (hopefully) few calls were I might have been blocked or something funky happened and in that case if a coach comes out, I have no problem asking my partner for help. At the same time, though, if the ump saw it clearly, they probably won't ask and you have to accept that.

As for a process... ask for time, when it is granted come out and politely ask umpire what they saw. If you disagree (which I'm sure you do, if you're out there ), politely ask if they would check with their partner. Again, it's the calling umpire's decision if s/he wants to ask for help or change their call. I have to say, the main thing coaches do wrong is come out of the dugout with a lot of hostility. Umpires tend to take coaches more seriously when they are not ranting and raving about everything.
----------

Hey Sara,

No problem, kids and umpires love me.
It's parents I am usually on the outs with.

Thanks,
Coach12
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Whenever a coach or player wants a second opinion on a call, the protocol is to call time and quietly/politely ask the official who made the call to ask the other official for an opinion.
The "other" official can then privately give the calling official his/her opinion if possible and the calling official decides whether to change the call or not.

Please rememeber the word "appeal" has specific meanings in the rule book, so it is less confusing to say opinion or view.
---------------

Good points Blue,

Thanks,
Coach12
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Called this weekend (16 hrs straight sat! I'm tired).

Call made at 3B by BU, Coach asks for time, then ASKS PERMISSION to talk to BU. Coach WALKS OUT to BU and has conversation, I don't know what was said. BU signals to me, PU, and we meet in infield, COACH DOES NOT TRY TO FOLLOW, AND LISTEN IN. BU asks me what did I see, I told her what I saw (I really can't recall if it was a tag safe, or out, it doesn't matter). BU then reverses her original call. Then (of course) the oppossing coach wanted a talk with the BU. He WALKED OUT TO HER CALMLY, and asked for an explanation. Explanation was given for the reversal, again I don't know what was said, the was no yelling, only calm conversations.

Both coaches later commentd to us they appreciated the way we handled that incident. We told them the same. This was a classic; "How to Approach an Umpire"

BTW, The capitalized wording above IMO are the keys to "appealing your case" to anyone, including umpires!
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Depends on what you are "appealing" (yes, I know, not the rule book use of the word - hence in quotes).

If you are "appealing" a checked swing (PU calls ball) or possible batted ball hits the batter in the box (PU calls live ball) (two common plays that are sometimes difficult for the PU), most of the time the PU will go to his partner if asked properly. Best to come from the catcher, but coach is OK, too, if no ranting or charging.

For a play on the bases, you should have something you wish the umpire to check with his partner about - not just that you disagree with the judgment. For example, a pulled foot or a screened swipe tag. Something of that nature. If you just disagree whether the runner beat the throw, you will not likely get anywhere.