The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Worked a ten and under tournament this weekend. Had two 10 year olds one that was clocked at 50, and the other at 55, can anyone tell me if they have seen tens that throw this fast.

ump mac
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by mccann
Worked a ten and under tournament this weekend. Had two 10 year olds one that was clocked at 50, and the other at 55, can anyone tell me if they have seen tens that throw this fast.

Yeah, Some of the proud parents posting over on the fastpitch side of ETeamz have 8 year old DD's throwing in the mid 60's, and they paint the corners, throw drops, rise, curves and do it all without a leap, or crow-hop!

Really though, I can believe some throwing low 50's. They will slow up a bit when they change to the 12" ball.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Chances are better that the radar guns were not accurate. 10 year olds do not pitch 55. Anytime or anywhere.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

rare

There was a girl from Center Grove Indiana a few years back that was probably pushing into the fifties. If I remember correctly, they rode her arm all the way to a NSA super world series championship. I have seen some speed from time to time in the 10's but it is very rare. I would imagine 50mph isn't unheard of but when you get to the 55mph mark, I find it very doubtful.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

The best 10U I ever saw was a few years ago, she was capable of what I would consider high 40's and had a curve ball that was out of this world, she only threw it once in the game I had but it made the batter (and I hate to admit it me) tighten up when she released it as it was heading inside and then curved to hit the left side of the plate, REALLY preaty for a 10U.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NSABlue
Chances are better that the radar guns were not accurate. 10 year olds do not pitch 55. Anytime or anywhere.
Do you mind if I quote you next time I am in traffic court for a speeding ticket?

Why do we trust the gun when it is pointed at Jenny Finch, or Cat Osterman, but when a phenom hits the street, we change our tune?

Not saying that I haven't laughed my a$$ off at the top dogs in the world of daddy-ball, but come on...
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

think about it - the best in America were throwing mid 60s at the CWS ......
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 3afan
think about it - the best in America were throwing mid 60s at the CWS ......
And none of them are fastballs.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
Quote:
Do you mind if I quote you next time I am in traffic court for a speeding ticket?

Why do we trust the gun when it is pointed at Jenny Finch, or Cat Osterman, but when a phenom hits the street, we change our tune?

Not saying that I haven't laughed my a$$ off at the top dogs in the world of daddy-ball, but come on...
Sorry, but the radar guns that a dad or youth league coach use are of very low quality. Speeds can vary widely and the guns may be picking up something other than the ball because the operator is not really trained and I doubt that these folks now how to properly tune and maintain the equipment. Please do not compare these guns to what your local PD uses to issue you a citation.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I can personally vouch for a 10U pitcher who regularly hit 65 mph. I know because when she was warming up, I could only get to "one-th" instead of "one-tho"
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I can personally vouch for a 10U pitcher who regularly hit 65 mph. I know because when she was warming up, I could only get to "one-th" instead of "one-tho"
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NSABlue
[B]
Quote:
Please do not compare these guns to what your local PD uses to issue you a citation.
Our local PD doesn't trust those thingies either. Not a pretty picture.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen a couple 10U pitcher hit high 40's consistently and occasionally touch the low 50's. As was said before, they tend to slow down a little when they adjust to the 12" ball. It takes sometime to regain that speed.

Sara
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Hey Mac,

I can add to this subject forever.
10U throwing 50......oh yeah!

But before I go any further let me say that every time I "gun" a pitcher my gun is always wrong according to everyone around me unless my gun reads the same as theirs. Regardless if mine reads faster or slower, it's always wrong. I've had two guns and I'll be danged if both of them weren't wrong right out of the box. (ha ha)

My daughter is now 13.
She has been pitching since she was 10.
I have been her trainer most of the time.
Yes, I pitch. (when my 50 year old bones let me)

When she was playing her first year of 10U she started out throwing the 11" ball a blistering 35 mph and weighted 58 lbs. Woooooo.
In her second 10U year she jumped to 42 mph and weight in at 68 lbs.

A friend of hers who she teamed with when picking up now and then was throwing 53 mph and weighted 100 lbs.

In her first year of 12U she dropped to 39 mph with the 12" ball but came up quickly to 46 mph and weighted 82 lbs.
During her second 12U year she reached 51 mph and is now throwing 52-53 mph on a good shot while weighting in at 94 lbs. (not a big girl)
She does very well on the corners and has some junk pitches as well.

Of course there are several around us throwing a little over 55 but they are bigger.

I have heard the over-60 at 10U before myself but never seen it which don't mean it don't happen. There are some big, strong girls out there that are only 12 years old.

Our high school sling-shot here was throwing 60+ when she was 14 and I belive that is not unheard of.

Take it all with a little salt and doubt nothing till you see it proven or disproved. Our young athletes can amaze when you least expect it.

Coach12