The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

This is just a hypothetical situation.

Game tied. Bottom of the last inning. The potential winning run is on third base with one out. Batter hits what appears to be a game-winning sacrifice fly, but the runner left third base too early and would be called out if a proper appeal is made.

Should the umpires start to leave the field once the runner crosses the plate, or should they linger for a few seconds to see if an appeal is imminent? My concern would be if the umpires linger too long, they'd be giving the defensive team a message that an appeal should be made.

Your opinions, please.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

For this reason alone (the possibility of appeal on a final play), I've never subscribed to the "Get the heck off the field asap" theory I've seen others mention. My end-of-game routine is always very much the same from game to game, and allows the defense the opportunity to make me aware they have something to appeal.

I get together with my partner, examine any leftover softballs to see if they should be given to a coach or reused, maybe discuss a play or a mechanic that's fresh on my mind (keep in mind I'm responsible for training in my area too...), and then walk together out the winning team's dugout.

This usually takes about 15 seconds (not that far from the "Get the heck out" folks), but gives enough time on-field for an appeal to happen.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Also, once the pitcher and infielders have left fair territory, there is no need to hang around.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Yea, definitely don't sprint to the nearest exit lol.

We've been told (havn't had to worry about it yet tho) to sorta hesitate a little and slowly walk off the field. Not making it obvious, but giving the team time to realise their options.