The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:40pm
softball_junky

We were doing an ASA Rec all-star tournament last weekend. I have never had this happen before. We were working a 10u game, runners first and third one out. Batter hits a line shot over the SS head. Outfielder makes a throw to 2nd base. I have a bang-bang out. Ball is returned to the pitcher she drops the ball and defense runs off the field. I look at my partner thinking “did I miss an out?” he looked back at me shrugged his shoulders so we both stand there. Runner comes home on the hit and batter is standing at the plate looking around trying to figure out what to do when base coach yells “Run” She takes off for 1st and stops. Base coach yells again “RUN” she heads for 2nd when the defense figures out it wasn’t the third out and starts coming back on the field. Runner makes it to 3rd before someone makes it to the ball and picks it up. After the defense is back on the field ready for the next batter the 2nd baseman looks at the SS and said. “Man do I feel stupid.” SS said “Me too.”
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Guess those two won't make that mistake again.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

What were the defensive coaches doing?

Bob
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Picking up their buckets and bringing them back into the dugout, no doubt.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Not to throw a wrench into a pretty funny stich, but what gives the batter the right to start running from home all around the bases to third?
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattlehead
Not to throw a wrench into a pretty funny stich, but what gives the batter the right to start running from home all around the bases to third?
The fact that she got a hit? (and/or FC - I'm no scorekeeper!)

I had to go back and re-read it myself when I got to the part about the batter running the bases. Using "BR" would have cleared it up!
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Now I get it! Ya know they don't call me Rattlehead for nothing... To many damn concussions.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:30pm
softball_junky

Sorry I should have used BR. As far as the coaches I didn't look I was watching the "BR" touch bases.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I just can't figure out why the BR didn't run in the first place and why defense didn't just throw it to first since they all seemingly thought there were already 2 outs. I would think that between the 2 options (close play at second vs. out at first on a non-running BR) the play on the BR might be a little easier.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:53pm
softball_junky

The throw came from center field for the force at 2nd. As far as the BR I don't know why she wasn't at 1st. The ball was returned to the pitcher she dropped it then they all ran off the field. I looked and the BR was standing between home and 1st near the plate trying to figure out what to do. We might have had OBS because they most likely almost ran over her getting off the field :-)