Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chiquita
Unhappy

Hello again,
I know this will seem obvious, but I feel guilty about a play last night. I work a Men's Power league, solo. Runner on 1st and 3rd. Batter hits a flyball to right center, looks long and over the fielder head, but the wind takes it and it drops in front of the fielder. Runner from 1st rounds second but sees the throw is in the shortstops hand, the runner trys to go back to second. From my postion, third base line near third, it LOOKS like the shortstop tagged the runner back. Also, the runner looked like he was jolted forward by a tag. BUT I could not see the runners back, so I did not SEE the tag. I called the runner out. I regreted it after I did it, but I could not change my call, especially being a woman ump in that competitive league. So someone please remind me, if I can't see, it don't call it. Thanks.....
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Don't feel bad

Don't feel bad. I was mentoring a couple newer umpires in a tournament last weekend. There was a similar play and the BU umpire went right up with her hand, perfect hammer, etc. Thought it was a great call. Coach came out to have a little discussion. About 15 seconds into it he goes a little nuts (not TOO bad, but a little).

After the game we are having a little debriefing.

ME: So, what happened to make the coach go nutso?
Newbie BU: I told him I was certain I heard the tag.

I was nice...
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: Don't feel bad

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
Don't feel bad. I was mentoring a couple newer umpires in a tournament last weekend. There was a similar play and the BU umpire went right up with her hand, perfect hammer, etc. Thought it was a great call. Coach came out to have a little discussion. About 15 seconds into it he goes a little nuts (not TOO bad, but a little).

After the game we are having a little debriefing.

ME: So, what happened to make the coach go nutso?
Newbie BU: I told him I was certain I heard the tag.

I was nice...
I have called an out on a tag I've heard a couple of times. One was when a player clipped the heel of a sliding runner. Another was a swipe tag on a high throw to first. Couldn't see the runner's back, but I heard the glove hit him in the shoulder.

I hope you were real nice. . .
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Except for a few tournaments, all the SP games in our area use only one umpire. Being only one person and starting behind the catcher (some of whom are 8-10' behind the plate) makes it impossible to get the best position to see everything. Don't feel bad, I've had happen both ways. I don't see a tag that was probably made or I call a tag that I'm only 90% sure was made. Sometimes I just have to say, "I can't call what I can't see" to a captain or coach who complains. But on the otherhand if it looks like a tag, and sounds like a tag, and acts like a tag...then it I'm calling it a tag (that's what I mean by being 90% sure) even if I don't see the tag.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chiquita
From my postion, third base line near third, it LOOKS like the shortstop tagged the runner back.
I'm sorry, but I have to ask this question.

Why were you on the 3rd base line near 3B? Once R1 passes you to obviously score and you see the ball and runner coming toward 3B, the anticipation of a play should bring you inside the diamond for a play at 3B.

This also would put you in a better position to take R2 back to 2B as it occurred here. It also gives you a better look in case of a throw-back to catch the BR off of 1B.

The only reason a single umpire would stay on the line would be if R1 hesitated or did not proceed to score on the play, thus keeping you in a holding zone for a possible play at the plate.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

R1 had not commited to running home. He did not score. I did not cross into the field because a) the runner may have run me over and b) the fielder may have made throw home, which I would have been in the way of. I hope that makes sense.... Thanks for everyones input, it helps to think things through.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I was very nice

I have heard tags too.

Seen arms stop, jerseys ruffled. I believe a former deputy director of umpires for ASA has enlightened us more than once about how we can all look for clues about things like tags, diving catches, whether or not runners touched bases on their way around ("I did not see him miss the base"), etc.

Especially when working one-umpire mechanics, no matter how hard and smart you work, there are going to be plays you don't "see."

My point to the young umpire was this: You did the right thing when you called the runner out. Then I asked, "did the coach ask you if you saw the fielder make the tag?" Her answer was no.

Now we are on to a different subject. I don't wanna totally hijack the thread, but want to make a point: Don't give any more information than what is needed to answer the question.

Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I do tons of one umpire games (girls FP). Manifold. Multitudinous. Heaps.

If you don't develop ways of "seeing" outs that do not necessarily involve direct vision, you won't survive!

Even so, you will miss a few, especially the throw down to second. If you come out from behind the catcher on the 3rd base side, you won't see the swipe tag. If you come out from behind the catcher on the 1st base side, you'll be blocked if the runner is between you and the fielder. I use all the information available and make the call. Between the first and third base coaches, one of the them will always have a good view. You won't.

If the coach wants to complain, I give him some room to vent and then remind him of the benefits of having that second umpire.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chiquita
R1 had not commited to running home. He did not score. I did not cross into the field because a) the runner may have run me over and b) the fielder may have made throw home, which I would have been in the way of. I hope that makes sense.... Thanks for everyones input, it helps to think things through.
Thank you, that now makes sense. Well, you staying where you were, not R1 failing to score on a ball to the outfield.

Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Same thing for me on Monday Night

I was working a Junior Legion game and I was the BU and there was a play at 1st Base where the 1st basemen I thought didn't tag the runner, so I said "No Tag, Safe!!" Well Defensive coach came out and asked if I could get some help from PU and PU said he heard glove and body meet. So I walked down to between 1B and the pitcher's mound and called the runner out and all hell broke loose. But I believe it was the right call, because Brandon had the angle to see it where I was looking basically straight on.

Mike
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Hey chiquita,

Not that it would necessarily have helped you make the right call, but just out of curiousity, what did the "tagged" runner do when you called him out? Did he put up a fight, did he acknowledge that he was tagged by heading for the dugout? Now, if you can train yourself to give just that slight hesitation before making all calls, the runner might just tell you what happened (maybe not in the highest level where players are well coached). What I mean is, if the tag is made, many times the runner will give you some sign that he/she is out by heading for the dugout, giving up trying to get to the base, etc. If you train yourself to have good timing on every play so that you are consistent, you may have that little extra second to decide what happened on the ones that you are not 100% sure of. Important thing here is to be consistent on all calls, even the ones where the throw beats the runner by the length of the Columbia River so that nobody knows you are trying to sort out the close/not sure ones. I hope that makes sense.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Troy,
The runner I called out had a complete STROKE! I almost had to toss him, but his manager came and got him. That would have sucked to make a bad call AND toss the player.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I may get yelled at for this...but if he wents nuts..you MAY have missed it..... but it WONT be the last one you ever miss...and it sounds like you were where you needed to be...it happens.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Streamdoc is right (did I just say that????)

Those darned old runners will give ya clues every time. the consistency of timing is crucial. You can't see it...wait...call it on JUST the close ones. It's being consistent on timing on every call.

Plus, learning that have saved umpires like Streamdoc, SeattleMetroUmp and SRW countless $$$$$ by learning that good timing. The pizza fund ($1 for each safe/out and out/safe) may not have much in it this year, but that is a good thing.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, I've contributed my fair share into that damn pizza fund. $5 last season, and I owe $3 this season already...

I agree, though - timing is crucial.

See the play.
Enjoy the play.
Call the play.