The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Two questions.

ASA Mens Softball

1) Runner on first, one out, fly ball to right field. Which umpire calls the catch? Field ump, or Plate ump?

2) Runner on first, two outs, batter hits a double, and runner gets called out at home by Plate ump. Can the hitting team ask for assistance from the Field ump, thinking the plate ump was in a poor position to see if the tag was made or not?

Thanks for your input, and if you could reference any rule numbers that would help me verifing this would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

1) Fly ball calls are the PU's call.
2) They can ask. It's up to the PU to decide if he wants his partner's help. All plays at home are the PU's call. Chances are the BU was watching the batter anyway, and didn't have a view of HP.

There's no rule reference - just mechanics.

Old Tue Jun 14, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Well it depends!!!!!!
1)First if a 2 ump system typically the PU has all catch-no catch calls, UNLESS the BU goes out on the play, meaning they turn and run out to the hit ball. Then the BU has catch-no catch and PU is running a 1 man at all 4 bases. This might happen depending on how much the BU wants to make the PU run(just kidding sort of) but if it looks like the play might be a close diving catch the BU may go out as they can see much better as they are closer than PU.

If 3 ump system one of the BU will go out on 95% of all fly balls.

2) You can ask the PU to check with his/her partner doesn't mean he/she will. And odds are if BU was doing their job they weren't watching the plate anyway. They had the Runner touching 3rd and BR from 1st to where ever they ended up. But it doesn't hurt to approach the PU in a calm manner and ask if they saw a certain event and if not if they could check with their partner about it. If approached correctly most, ok some, umpires will ask partner there is probably not a good chance they will reverse a judgement call but it might happen.

Here is one situation where I reversed a call. I was BU play at first 1st baseperson was pulled toward me blocking my view of her foot on the base I could see her foot was pointed down as she rotated and she caught the ball 2 steps prior to BR touching the base. I called the out, 3rd base coach who had a clear view of her foot and the bag from his angle asked for time. Approached me and asked " Blue I think her foot was in the air when she caught the ball, did you see it touching?" I said let me check with my partner to see if he saw anythign I didn't. Partner said "ya her foot was in the air" I asked " and runner touched base prior to her retouching 1st?" "yes". I stepped back and said "Foot off the bag runner is safe" well after calming down defensive coach as I walked back to position F3 said "good call blue they pulled me off the bag"