The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

I know that 16" is not discussed here much, but I need some help as I have never umpired a game of 16" and have questions on the rules variations from 12" SP that I normally do. But my assignor needed someone, so I said I'd give it a try. After reading my rulebook, the two main differences I see are that the pitching and the leading off.

Pitching - What is up with the hestations and how are they determined? Is there anywhere I can see examples of what is legal and what isn't?

Leading Off - If I understand correctly, a runner can lead off, but can only attempt a steal if played on by the pitcher? So if a catcher plays on a runner who leads off then the runner must return to the base he occupied and cannot advance?

Any other pointers on the 16" game would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

tzme415,

This is my first post, so I hope it's helpful.

In 16" slow pitch, a pitcher may hesitate by stopping his pitching motion once it has begun or by faking a pickoff attempt.

One of the most common hesitations occurs when a pitcher suddenly stops his motion just before he releases the ball toward the plate in an attempt to catch the runner leaning toward second base.

A pitcher may hesitate twice before either delivering the pitch or attempting a pickoff. A third hesitation would result in an illegal pitch.

Runners may lead off and may be played on by the pitcher or catcher. Beyond that, most leagues usually have their own rules pertaining to runners advancing or stealing.

Some things to look for when working the 16" game:

*Make sure no one is wearing a batting glove in the field.

*Check to see if the league rules permit use of "Chicago-style" bats. These are thick, wooden bats which would be illegal in ASA play, but are allowed by some 16" leagues.

*Pay special attention to the first baseman's handling of throws from infielders. In the 16" game, first basemen will juggle throws much more often.

Old Mon Jun 13, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks - If there are any other comments it would be appreciated.

One is a Co-Ed league and I noticed that it allowed the women to wear gloves, but the watching for the batting glove is a good tip.

Other than a hesitation, the pitching rules seem pretty much the same as slow pitch. Is this correct?
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

I guess 16 inch just isn't that popular outside the Chicago area.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

16" softball is indeed very popular in the Chicago area. Of the 14 leagues our suburban association covers, only two play 12" (and one of those uses mats for balls and strikes).

There is one other quirk in the 16" rules that I forgot to mention, although I think I have seen it only once or twice in the past decade.

A batter can be called out for interference if he hits a pitched ball after it hits the ground or plate in an attempt to prevent a catcher from making a pickoff throw.

Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 09:01pm
In Time Out

I've never seen or heard of a 16" softball here in the NW

But I'd love to know where to get one. Would be fun to sneak one in in my ball bag, and toss it out to the pitcher after a foul out of play, and watch the reaction.

Are they optic yellow or white?
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

They are white and a little softer than the 12" We have a little 16" here in Arizona and both the ASA 16"A and Major were held here last year. Great game,,,,,
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

ucsid - Which suburb? I'm in Downers Grove. The association I'm in does alot of both (13 different suburbs). I've just always stuck to the 12" until now.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Re: I've never seen or heard of a 16

Quote:
Originally posted by Panda Bear
But I'd love to know where to get one. Would be fun to sneak one in in my ball bag, and toss it out to the pitcher after a foul out of play, and watch the reaction.

Are they optic yellow or white?
Panda:
What area of the NW are you in?
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

tzme415,

Our association covers LaGrange/North Riverside in addition to leagues in the Hinsdale/Willowbrook area.

Most of the leagues are 16" men's or coed. The only 12" leagues we cover are in Darien and Hinsdale.
Old Mon Jun 20, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I got introduced to it by an old college teaching assistant. He was originally a Chicago native.

I was in Chicago this past spring and brought back a 16" ball. My kids were amazed. Then after I told them you don't use gloves, they were even more amazed.

It's become quite the conversation piece.

BTW you can order a 16" ball through Sports Authority's (Sportsmart, Gart Sports) website.