The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Last night. Two pretty good 16U rec league teams. ("Pretty good" in the context of a rec league.) 1 umpire "system."

R1 on 2nd. Hump-backed liner goes toward the deep infield between 2nd base and F6. R1 off and running; F6 running to catch the ball. Players on a collision course. Both hold up inches from contact. Ball drops uncaught.

IMJ, F6 had a good shot at the catch. I ruled dead ball, interference, runner out.

Inning later. Same situation almost exactly. Only this time, the ball is a bit higher and, IMJ, over F6's head (i.e. she had no shot). I did not rule any violation. D-coach wanted to know the difference (between innings - no jawing during the game). I explained F6 had no play, hence no interference. I thought later I should have called obstruction (it would have made no difference in the play).

Comments?
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question - F6 had no shot of ever getting to the ball? Or just no shot at catching it? If F6 had no shot at getting the ball (not just in flight, but at all for any possible play), then you might have OBS.

If the ball had not passed F6 when near-contact occurred, and F6 had a shot at getting to the ball (even after bouncing), I still have interference. If F6 getting to the ball late prevented ANY play (even just a play to keep runner from going home, or BR from attempting 2nd, etc), it's still a play, and it's still before the batted ball had passed an infielder.

I admit, though, that this is a grey area, and look forward to Mr. Rowe shooting me down, and/or debeau's NZ interp that BR is out and R1 scores. ( )
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Question - F6 had no shot of ever getting to the ball? Or just no shot at catching it?
It was F8's ball.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like OBS then. At least in the Northern Hemisphere.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

I do believe sir mcrowder I may have mislead you if you think I would have had BR out and R scoring .
In fact I dont think I would ever have that .(scratching my head trying to figure where I would have it ).
Ist scenario as ruled .
In the 2nd scenario as described I would have obst delayed dead ball .