The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Did any of you see the Series game where Tennessee on Defense against (Mich I believe). Anyway, catcher dropped 3rd strike on a check swing by batter. PU did not call strike on the wild pitch that went to the fence. Batter stood there a moment then decided to run. BU called batter out at first when catcher made throw to first.

The Mich coach seemed upset about it... Why would the BU call the runner out if the PU did not request assistance from his partner in determining if the batter went?

Is this normal?
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sprivitor
Did any of you see the Series game where Tennessee on Defense against (Mich I believe). Anyway, catcher dropped 3rd strike on a check swing by batter. PU did not call strike on the wild pitch that went to the fence. Batter stood there a moment then decided to run. BU called batter out at first when catcher made throw to first.

The Mich coach seemed upset about it... Why would the BU call the runner out if the PU did not request assistance from his partner in determining if the batter went?

Is this normal?
Did not see the play....However, reading your post, you state catcher dropped 3rd strike
on wild pitch...So PU figured she went...His/Her judgement. No need to check with
partner. [There was plenty of swinging at pitchers that were in the dirt thoughout the
series.]

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Whiskers, he said that PU did NOT call the ball a strike.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Didn't see it.
Sounds to me like BU assumed a strike because BR ran and had to call something. If no other runners, easy enough to reverse if umpires agreed later it was not a swing. With other runners, especially if there were 2 outs, could be a mess.

Probably smart of BR to run just in case, but should have sooner. Hopefully, the umpires would have been objective enough not to use that to determine if it was a swing.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 05:57pm
softball_junky

I saw the play but it was kind of confusing from the camera angle but what appeared to happen was pitch was high and inside went to the backstop, I can’t remember if it was a full count but I know there were two strikes. The batter checked her swing waited a second and took off for first. Catcher recovered the ball and threw it to first. BU must have called an out. I think the PU checked with the BU to ask if the batter went on the pitch. I am guessing BU must have said yes. It was the third out but the runner on base came home on the throw so had it not been the third out a run would have scored. There was some discussion afterward with the Mich. Coach. They must have sold the call because nothing more was said.