The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I started watching the Mich/Tenn game in the 5th inning last night and saw the same batter for Tenn (in two separate at bats) make contact with the ball while her foot was on the ground completely outside the batters box. She was the player who wore the batting helmet that had the jaw protectors. She is a left handed batting slap hitter that each time she made contact with the ball her left foot was clearly on the ground directly in front of home plate between the batters boxes. Now I can understand the HP not being able to see this (maybe he was blocked out, besides he is watching the pitch) but what does surprise me is that neither of the 2 BU's called it. Did anyone else see this last night?
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Yea, I thought I saw the same thing. That's a tuff call for the PU, especially later in the game as those lines disappear. Really tough for the BU's since they are to far away to really see it.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

I watched the same girl today and each time her heel was on the line.

I am glad the missed call at first base did not cost Michigan the game.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Base Umpires ?

"but what does surprise me is that neither of the 2 BU's called it."

For the base umpires to make this call would create a serious problem in at least 2 ways. (1) the offensive coach would be chewing the plate umpires back side then and for the next 3 innings about how an umpire 60 plus feet away called the foot violation and (2) the quicker the plate umpire could get to the locker room would be the quicker he/she could hang the partner!
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thats almost impossible for the PU to see that when concentrating on a 65 mph pitch.It would really have to be obvious or the benifit of doubt is given to the batter.If her foot is out of the box,but even a few inches off the ground when contact is made she is alright.Again,very difficult to see when focusing on the pitch which is the PU first priority.As a whole,I think the WCWS Umpires are doing an excellent job from the games I saw on TV.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire

Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mo99
Thats almost impossible for the PU to see that when concentrating on a 65 mph pitch.
I agree 100%.

As a whole,I think the WCWS Umpires are doing an excellent job from the games I saw on TV.

[/QUOTE]Me too. I am in no way trying to be critical of the crew. I realize how difficult it is. I had simply noticed this particular batter had her foot out of the box on every attempt and I would like to have seen her get called for it when she made contact.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
I watched the same girl today and each time her heel was on the line.

I am glad the missed call at first base did not cost Michigan the game.
What call was that? Brian
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

I want to share a humorous way I solved this situation with a coach in summer league womens game a couple years ago.I would never consider using this tactic in a high level college or high school game but it got my point across to a coach who was harping about a batter being out of the batters box on a slap hit.The very next pitch his pitcher through to the next batter was right down the middle of the plate.I called absolutely nothing after the catcher caught the ball.The coach asked me where the pitch was and I told him I didnt know because I was watching the batters feet.He gave me a wry smile and I didnt hear a word about being out of the box the rest of the game.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

With 2 outs and no one on the Tennesee batter hit a ball to the pitcher. The runner slid head first into first base and the throw beat her. Tennesee then went on to score 2 runs.

The officials are doing an excellent job. I know I've got a ways to go to work at that level.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With 2 outs and no one on the Tennesee batter hit a ball to the pitcher. The runner slid head first into first base and the throw beat her. Tennesee then went on to score 2 runs.

The officials are doing an excellent job. I know I've got a ways to go to work at that level.
I don't know Rachel, you do a pretty damn good job....Bring the saddle, you will have to carry
me a couple days, at least I asked Marlin to schedule
us a couple.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Rachel , I didn't see that one. The only play I remember was on a double play attempt. Commentaters thought the ump was wrong , but I think her foot was off the base at first. Brian
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I saw that one also. The wife and I were watching the games while critiquing the umpiring crews (who all did very well IMO). On that play the F1 bobbled the ball before making a soft underhand toss to first base. We both said ooooh at the same time because even at full speed we both saw an out. Of course ESPN is gonna replay those a couple of times, and it was just as clear on the replays. I would bet that with the bobble/soft toss towards first, the umpire had already seen a safe in his mind before allowing the play to finish. I bet that is the only umpire to ever anticipate a call incorrectly!

I certainly haven't made that mistake yet this morning!
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I did it last week in a section final. Unfortunately for me it made the front page of the sports.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dtwsd
Quote:
Originally posted by mo99
Thats almost impossible for the PU to see that when concentrating on a 65 mph pitch.
I agree 100%.

I don't. Difficult, yes, but not impossible, almost, virtually or otherwise.

I would never call it unless 100%, but some batters are so obvious, it is difficult to miss.

JMHO,