The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

The assistant coach at the high school I teach at asked me this one. I told her that I did not know, as I am ASA, not NFHS, but that I'd try to find out. Maybe you guys can help me out?

Situation #1: R1 on 3B, No outs. B2 hits deep fly to outfield. R1 leaves 3B (before the ball is touched by the defense) and runs in to touch home plate. F9 ends up getting to the ball and makes a surprising catch. Defense relays the ball in and makes appeal for second out at 3B on R1 who left 3B too early.

What the coach asked the umpire was could R1 have retouched home plate and returned to 3B before the appeal and have been declared safe? (retouching bases in proper order) The umpire answered that although that is allowed for other bases where R1 would be safe, in the play described she is out, because once R1 touches home plate, she cannot return to 3B for leaving too soon. (not out for entering the team area, but once home plate is touched, she can't retreat and is declared out on proper appeal) Is that correct? Is home plate different than the other bases for this type of play?

Situation #2: Would the result be any different if R1 was on 2B, B2 hits a double, and R1 misses 3B before scoring? Can R1 go back and re-touch home, then go back to touch the missed 3B?

So I am asking for the correct ruling for NFHS rules.

What if these happened under ASA rules? Is it any different?

Thanks.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, she can re-touch home and return to third base as long as no following runner has scored or the runner did not leave the field of play.

NFHS 8-3 Art. 9 - "No runner may return to touch a missed base or one left too soon after a following runner has scored or once she leaves the field of play"

The same would be true in the 2nd situation as well.