The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

I have been watching Cat pitch, and she is good..And it looks as if she is illegal....But enough about the leaping,
what about the towel behind her back....
Umpires question....

Why aren't the opposing batters complaining about the towel... If they ask the plate umpire that it is a destraction and is a destraction at the release point, should the umpire have it removed????
It is of course not part of her uniform...

What is the rule and will a team challenge the towel???

Thanks
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, I'll bite...

Why is she illegal?

Any who cares about the towel? If you're focusing on the towel, you're not going to see the pitch...heck, you have to be behind her to see it!
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Oh well, because you think that way...How about just letting
Cat wear a big sombrero. "If you look up at the sombrero, then you are not being focus on the pitch." So who cares about the sombrero....

New NCAA rule: pitchers can wear anything that they what to wear while on the mound..it is the batters responsiblity to say focus on the ball....

Sounds good the me....
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slowballbaker
New NCAA rule: pitchers can wear anything that they what to wear while on the mound..
Who cares about baseball?
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

If you want to get that way...

Would a sombrero count as proper head wear? does it meet requirements?

The point is, is the towel really distracting? I mean, look at it...it's white just like her shorts...you have to be LOOKING FOR IT if it is going to distract you.

The towel is to keep her hands dry, I would assume.

Or maybe it was to distract Michigan batters...maybe you're right...

Worked really well, didn't it?
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

You came to the wrong place to be a flamer dude.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Rosin bags are legal...They keep your hands dry...

A beach towel tucked in your pants may be ruled illegal..
If it is drying your hands that you are worried about, then Cat needs a hair-dryer in her back pants and just turn it on after every pitch....

What kind of field day would the MLB umpires have if Roger Clemens wore a beach towel in is back pants during a game...
Maybe there is vaseline on the towel or maybe even sandpaper..

The towel would not be allowed in MLB or NCAA baseball nor should it be allowed in NCAA softbal.

Need to hear some thoughts...
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Im sure its been discussed and ruled on...play ball
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Taking nothing away from Cat, as she is definitely an outstanding pitcher, but there's also a new kid on the block named JENNIE RITTER!! Watched her play HS ball, and even called a few of her games. "GO BLUE"!!!!
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

There was a thread on another board discussing Cat's "tail". One guy seemed to think it would be a distraction to the batters, and Cat knows this and that is why she is "cheating" by wearing the towel.

I say hogwash. She obviously wants it to be able to wipe her hands, or blow her nose, or shine her shoes, or whatever. I never saw her use it, but the camera wasn't on her all the time.

What I did see were a few shots from behind home showing the complete pitch delivery. The towel is barely visible to the batters, and then only visible when the pitch has already been released. I am certain that several NCAA officials have already ruled the towel to be no problem, and most batters are not gonna blame a towel for their inability to effectively hit Cat's pitches.

I also saw no IP's by Cat, nor any other pitcher. It seems that the "best of the best" are always held up to more scrutiny than others. Cat is an awesome pitcher there can be no doubt. Is she an illegal cheater? Only in the minds of those who choose not to try to work up to her level. Is Cat the best ever? She is good, but does have some losses. She has amassed an impressive record at an early age, including the Gold Medal.

On top of this, I have seen a towel (dishrag size) tucked in the pants of an NCAA BASEBALL pitcher! He would use it for drying his hands, as well as the ball.

Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

I also saw no IP's by Cat, nor any other pitcher. It seems that the "best of the best" are always held up to more scrutiny than others. Cat is an awesome pitcher there can be no doubt.
You are right, there is no doubt that Cat Osterman is one of the best pitchers we have seen in recent years, and maybe even the best of the best.

However, you may have not seen any IP called, but there IS a fair amount of leaping going on by damn near every pitcher in this NCAA National Championship Series including Cat Osterman.

Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I thought she didn't want the tv camera to get a good shot of her . Maybe ? Brian
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slowballbaker
I have been watching Cat pitch, and she is good..And it looks as if she is illegal....But enough about the leaping,
what about the towel behind her back....
Umpires question....

Why aren't the opposing batters complaining about the towel... If they ask the plate umpire that it is a destraction and is a destraction at the release point, should the umpire have it removed????
It is of course not part of her uniform...

What is the rule and will a team challenge the towel???

Thanks
Hay.. i saw that towel.. i need to use one.. i use my shirt and i have a huge brown stain there now.. but yeah it does distract.. but its good and bad for both sides..
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Not to beat a dead horse with this towel issue,but I see no problem with it.If you watch when they show Cat pitching from a view behind the plate,the towel comes into view well after the pitch is released and is on the opposite side of her pitching arm.The towel is visable on her right side and the pitch is released from her left hand.With the batter focused on the ball coming out of her hand,there is no way that towel can be a distraction to them.I assume that is the reason there are no questions concerning it from her opponents.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
ASA Umpire
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously, watching on TV it's much harder to determine IPs than in person with the camera angles and all. It seems as if every pitcher in the tournament pushes the limits on the pitching rule... I think she probably jumps the same or less than some of the other pitchers. Still, a great pitcher and a lot of fun to watch.

It seems like the towel thing is just people trying to make a big deal out of nothing. I'm guessing it wouldn't be as big of a deal if it were a different pitcher with the towel.

Apparently Monica Abbott has some kind of replanting issue. I didn't watch that game, but apparently she got IP'ed in the first game. She's also a really great pitcher (and wow does she throw hard), but her delivery is definitely original. Anyone know what's the point of bending over and all?

Sara