The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Hi there. New to this forum but I have a question under ASA Rules.

Here's the situation. Bases loaded, one out. Ground ball to third. 3B throws home to the catcher, standing on the plate (we play in a co-ed league where the runner has to go to a mat behind the plate on plays at the plate...not the plate itself). Runner collides with the catcher as the ball gets there, isn't going for the mat, so the call is the runner is out bc of interference. Meanwhile, because of the collision/interference, the catcher dropped the ball and the runner who started on second, advanced to third on the play, then sprints home and scores as the catcher is trying to recover the ball. Mind you, this is all AFTER the interference was called.

I was always under the impression that a call of interference = runner is out, ball is dead, and runners return to the last base touched (important note here, the runner that scored after the interference was on third when the call was made), but the ump said that there is no dead ball after interference?

Was that the right call?
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sofballmd
Was that the right call?
No. Interference is an immediate dead ball.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Possibly muddying the waters, because of the non-book rule on avoiding the plate. The league should clarify whether the collision is automatically intentional because the runner is not allowed there. That could have an effect on the other runners.
Yes, the runner from 2nd stays at 3rd if reached before the INT occurred (as opposed to called).

p.s. does the md in sofballmd mean medical or Maryland?
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Possibly muddying the waters, because of the non-book rule on avoiding the plate. The league should clarify whether the collision is automatically intentional because the runner is not allowed there. That could have an effect on the other runners.
Yes, the runner from 2nd stays at 3rd if reached before the INT occurred (as opposed to called).
Actually, this rule is in the ASA book (8.9.D.7), but for Senior play. If a runner runs the original line to home and interferes with the defender taking the throw or touching the plate, the ball is dead and the runner is out. This is interference, so no runners may advance.

Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Actually, this rule is in the ASA book (8.9.D.7), but for Senior play. If a runner runs the original line to home and interferes with the defender taking the throw or touching the plate, the ball is dead and the runner is out. This is interference, so no runners may advance.

BUt I don't remember it being a rule in co-ed, so I suggestthe league copy the Senior rule.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

BUt I don't remember it being a rule in co-ed, so I suggestthe league copy the Senior rule.
I didn't say it was for co-ed. I just stated the this rule is in the book. It's just not for the game being discussed, but it is still a viable reference if that is the rule being used by the league.

Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I know you didn't say co-rec or co-ed or ..., so I suggestthe league copy the Senior rule.