The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Ok, I know you HS, college and yes, even Olympic Umpires get to see this on a daily basis. But us rec leaguers rarely get it. I've seen vets who are like us bright-eyed rookies and still take rec serious. I have a blast. I hustle, I get good position, I'm stern when needed, but the players know I'm having fun.

But the level of play is of coarse ludicrious at best. lol Even the players laugh at themselves, to be sure, it makes for a good time.

Well, today I got to watch a real athlete. I'm telling you, I would pay money to see this guy play. Freakin reincarnaded Jackie Robinson. The other players practically bow down when he walks near them, and the best part is, he's the nicest and most polite guy you could meet. Humble, hustle, having fun. He's a treat to watch.

Was a true breath of fresh air.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Every one in a while, you run across those exceptional athletes and wonder why this guy isn't playing a pro sport somewhere. Ususally, if you get a chance to learn it, there's a story somewhere that kept them from moving up....got someone pregnant, got in trouble, grades, had to work to support parents, poorly timed injuries, etc. They are a treat to watch especially when they don't worship themself and complain about everything.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

So true! Used to umpire a men's FP league. One team was stacked with guys like this...excellent athletes in the outfield, infield and behind the plate. Only spot without a "star" was pitcher and he was pretty good, just about 20 years older than the rest of the team.

Turns out several had been injured in the minor-leagues, one guy was a former quarterback that never moved on, several others just wanted to have fun reliving the "glory days" of high school baseball and chose FP softball.

Only one of them thought he was "the gift." ANd the team kicked him off after a few weeks.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Players like that are a pleasure with which to deal.

However, it is the AA's that think they are great, talk and walk like they are great, but are just above average and will never, never play up to the competition they talk about and when they don't win, guess who is at fault?

These are the people that drive umpires away from the game and that is just a damn shame.

I would love to work a rec league that plays like a rec league.

Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

I would love to work a rec league that plays like a rec league.

When you find one of those...let me know and I'll come work it with you.....
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

CO-ED League

Local CO-ED league asked me to register their teams ASA. Did so and attended meeting last night about rules. Most of the teams are way laid back, just looking to have fun on SUnday afternoon...1/2 the teams are church teams. Two teams worry me...many young people looking for "competition." Lot's of ex-stud athletes.

First games Sunday. looking forward to it. Should be interesting, as I haven't done co-ed in about 6 years! Heck, I haven't done slowpitch in 5!
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 03:04pm
Ref Ump Welsch

There are still a few rec leagues that play like a rec league. More of them at the lower classifications of COED ball. Had one last night, everyone had a good time, friendly teasing going back and forth and all. The play may have been a little horrendous to the point it got boring, but the playful banter kept it fun.