The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Not fair! The answers are posted on the Idaho ASA web site!
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
2 out of 3 is passing, ...
Very good, but would you consider an umpire who knew 2/3 of the rules to be a passable umpire?

Anyway, the answer to #3 is Delaware used the opportunity to also declare itself independent from Pennsylvania.
Damn,

Bet Steve M. liked that deal.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
Not fair! The answers are posted on the Idaho ASA web site!
Geez. First Arizona, then Idaho. Does everyone think they need to post test answers?
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Mike,
If I buy a book on the history of Delaware, will you assign me the State Final? Thanks, I'll even polish my belt!
Well, if I was Mike, I would at least require you to also pass this test:

1) How did Delaware get its name?
Named for Sir Thomas West, Baron De La Warr, English Colonial governor of VA.
Quote:

2) What is the significance of the name Zwaanendael to the state?
First settlement (Dutch) in Delaware.

Quote:
3) Why is the Declaration of Independence even more significant to Delaware than to the other original 13 states?
Though many consider the Pennsylvania vote to be decisive, Delaware's delegation was also divided and an ill Caesar Rodney returned to Philadelphia to move the DE vote to favor independence.

Whether that was actually a matter of persuasion to Delaware's statehood is a question mark as the "three lower counties" had been given the right to separate assembly and government nearly 70 years earlier. Delaware supposedly gained statehood in 1776, but the "official date" of statehood is Dec 7, 1787, the date on which Delaware was the first to ratify the constitution.

Well, do I pass?

Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Well, do I pass?

Well, as Joel used to say, Yeppers!
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Have any of you purchased the "Softball Umpires Manual" from the NCAA Publications catalog? I was just wondering if there was any info in there that makes it worth the $12.50 purchase price.

Scott: Buy it. It helps. You can learn the proper mechanic when in the "B" position instead of relying on "you know who", and there is lots of information in there that you need to know.

It would have been worth it for some of the umpires who are calling the WCWS. Especially the BU in the TN/AZ game. Sorry, but too many blown calls that were not that tough

Really, I was sitting there about 6 rows up behind home plate. I didn't see any calls blown. I also talked to several umps that were at their house to get their view on the call at home for the winning run. They ran it back several times on TIVO in slow motion and Willie got it right every time.

Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

you wanna elaborate on what calls they missed? Because I missed them missing calls (or maybe I was enjoying the game and not watching the umpires) By the way..when that young lady that pitches for UCLA learns how to pitch, she is going to be lethal...no reason we wont see her in the CWS for the next 3 years also..
Old Sun Jun 05, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I know it is easier to read the book then go through printed pages and if you can print it at a friendly university that allows free printing, why buy the book if the printed pages have the same info?

Buy it just does not get it for me.

If Alpha, Romeo and Tango are looking to see who purchased the book, oh well, they are just another 3 people who need a good ... and are lost in the trees wishing they knew what forest they were in.

Since they have so much free time, they should email all their umpires and possibles and ask them if they have downloaded and read the manual. That way they will not make any of those illfated, rash assumpitions and judgements that bosses are known for.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Quote:
2 out of 3 is passing, ...
Very good, but would you consider an umpire who knew 2/3 of the rules to be a passable umpire?
Apparently, a lot of people do

Anyway, the answer to #3 is Delaware used the opportunity to also declare itself independent from Pennsylvania.
Thanks, I forgot that, but I'll have to research the status described by Mike. It might only apply to ASA.