The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Situation during per-game of this afternoons high school varsity softball DH (Michigan). We check bats. I find one bat without ANY stamp (2000 or ASA). I inform coach that as I and my partner understand the bat needs to have a proper stamp and this paticualr bat will not be used today. Coach replies that bat is "pre 2000" and does not need any stamp. We did not allow use of bat during game. Any other understanding regarding legal bats?
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:33pm
Never Stop Learning

Coach is right if in your opion it was in fact manufactured prior to 2000 and, if tested, would comply with the ASA bat performance standards then in effect. If it is on the approved bat list it would also be okay. Also if it is on the ASA Banned List it would not be able to be used unless it had the ASA approved recertification mark.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Are you sure, Ed? I didn't think NFHS allowed the "umpire judgment" exception. They didn't used to, anyway.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Regarding NFHS play, as we were instructed in 2004, (we play fall SB in GA will start up in august), If a bat does not have the proper ASA markings, and is not on the banned list, the coach must show it is legal for play using the approved list. Each home team was required to post in BOTH dugouts the current banned list as well as the approved list. Saw very few lists during the season, and none at the playoffs, or state championship. I also only found one bat with no cetification mark all season long.

Old Sat May 28, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Are you sure, Ed? I didn't think NFHS allowed the "umpire judgment" exception. They didn't used to, anyway.
According to the HS clinics around here, the umpire was to use ASA's standard which includes pre-2000 bats.

Look at it this way. Would you not allow a player to use a wooden softball bat in a HS game? Not on the approved bat list, many, if not all, do not have any certification stamps and you know darn well they are legal.

Old Sat May 28, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. Odd thing that I choose not to mention in my initial comments is that my umpire partner and I thought it "strange" that after we told coach in dugout about bat (who understood) the head coach, who was hitting infield practice, became "defensive" about the bat just prior to us informing him that the 1 bat would not be used. Seems to me that this was not the first time he was told about the bat with no stamps. As for wood bats, sure we would allow them, provided they were not cracked. Wood bats are quit a different "animal" than metal bats.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
In NFHS, bats must have one of the seals or be on the approved list. No "umpire judgement" acceptance is allowed. The rule (which includes reference to the ASA list) and case say "2004 ASA Bat Performance Standard", not just the ASA rule.