The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Question Intentional walk

NFHS rules- Intentional walk
If the catcher sets up outside of the catchers box to receive an outside pitch before the pitch is thrown for an intentional walk(or steps outside of the box with one foot), is there a penalty imposed?
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Define "catcher's box".
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: Intentional walk

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
If the catcher sets up outside of the catchers box to receive an outside pitch before the pitch is thrown for an intentional walk(or steps outside of the box with one foot), is there a penalty imposed?
In the first case, the PU cannot allow a pitch if the catcher isn't in the catchers box. Beyond that, I assume you realize how wide the softball catchers box is; that it extends to the outside of both batters boxes, 3'6" off the plate on both sides, a total of 8'2" in width. It is almost inconceivable that a pitch could be thrown with the catcher stepping out of the box between the start of the pitch (you can't allow that start if not in the box) and the release (after which the catcher may leave the box to get the ball.

More than likely you have parents or coaches bending your ear thinking about a baseball catchers box. If, somehow, that actually managed to happen, it is an illegal pitch, and all IP penalties apply.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

I know that the idea of this happening is foreign but here in Florida it is becoming a habit.
So many kids play travel ball that allows everything, ie money paves the way ball, that we are starting to see this in high school too.
It is an illegal pitch.

What we see here is that the catcher sets up legally and as the pitcher winds up but before the ball is released, the catcher is outside the box.

Yeah, way over there. Or sometimes on top of the plate (when the batter is up in the front of the box)
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Correction

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
Quote:

Beyond that, I assume you realize how wide the softball catchers box is; that it extends to the outside of both batters boxes, 3' 6" off the plate on both sides, a total of 8' 2" in width. [/B]
Correction: If the catchers box extends 3' 6" from both sides of the plate (which is 17" in width), than the catchers box would total 8' 5" in width.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Correction

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
Quote:

Beyond that, I assume you realize how wide the softball catchers box is; that it extends to the outside of both batters boxes, 3' 6" off the plate on both sides, a total of 8' 2" in width.
Quote:
Correction: If the catchers box extends 3' 6" from both sides of the plate (which is 17" in width), than the catchers box would total 8' 5" in width. [/B]
Hey, I posted at 1:04 am while laying in bed; no rule book referenced, even. So, my math is bad, too. I was mentally adding a 3' wide box to the 6" started off the corner x 2 + width of home plate.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Talking Re: Correction

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
Quote:

Beyond that, I assume you realize how wide the softball catchers box is; that it extends to the outside of both batters boxes, 3' 6" off the plate on both sides, a total of 8' 2" in width.
Quote:
Correction: If the catchers box extends 3' 6" from both sides of the plate (which is 17" in width), than the catchers box would total 8' 5" in width. [/B]
I guess that's the all time winner of the pickiest nit contest!