The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

This did not seem that hard to me but coaches didn't like it at all!

R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st 1 out. B3 hits shot to pitcher who bobbles it but recovers to get the out at first. R1 was off with the pitch and running fast, rounds 3rd and never hesitates trying for home, F3 throws the ball to F2 throw is high R1 is safe at home. During all this action for some reason R2 comes back to 1st base! Well after dust settles play ends up with F3 holding a tag on R2 who is standing on 1st with defensive coaches yelling she's out it is a force she has to go.

Well I explain that she is safe she does not have to go once the B-R was retired she is no longer forced to advance, which they argued. I asked when you turn a double play backwards you have to tag the runner at 2nd right? coach agreed, I said why? Cause the force is removed when you get the b-r out at 1st, so the runner can return to 1st as this one did. Then he tells me that R2 rounded 2nd prior to returning to 1st, I then said well if you miss 1st base on a triple and after rounding 2nd your third base coach sends you back and you retouch 2nd and then go to first that is legal right? agreed, so this runner just did both at the same time no issues with that.

Was I correct in applying these two rules together? By the way I found out later the Runner returned as she thought the F1 caught the ball in the air, so that would remove and thoughts of making a travesty of the game.

Old Thu May 19, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Well done, Dave. Your ruling and your logical explanations have me.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Dead on.