The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I had my last HS game yesterday. I have been working alot of the Christian school Varsity games. Two type of umpires get assigned these games, the hustling newbys and the old vets. When i say old vets I mean people in their late 60'"s/ early 70"s.

So the SITCH was pitcher standing on the pitchers plate, facing home, does a complete revolution but doesn't throw the ball. Then backs off the plate. Offensive coach starts calling for a IP. i call time and start walking out to BU, he then shakes his head indicating that wasn't a IP. In hindsight i think it was and we should have awarded he runner on 3B Home.

I am thinking I messed up by not calling an IP. I also realized that I let the vets off the hook too easy. I mean the guy is in his early 70"s. I have workedd with him before and I almost see him as a grandfather type. i should have been a little more forceful in talking to him about what just happened.

As always feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Can't wait to hear the answerings on this one.........lol!!!
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Unless the reason the pitcher stopped was an act by the offense (coach or batter asked for time while in her motion, or batter stepped out of the box), it is an illegal pitch. This also isn't the BU's call; it is the PU call. PU calls all IP's dealing with the hands; BU watches the feet for off the plate, leaps, crow hops. You didn't let the vet off; it was your call to make.

The only other reason to not call an IP is if the BU says she wasn't on the plate, and this was a warmup that many pitchers do into their glove, not the start of a pitch.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Cool

yup yup....right right......makes since to me..... my pitcher will do that sometimes but she's not on the plate when she does it....just something to loosen her arm up a bit before....never realized how many small details there were to pitching until now.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

The pitcher was clearly on the plate. My mistake. Another lesson learned.

The reason I mentioned the vet was because my expectations are for vets to help out the newbys and my perception was he didn't want to deal with it. But I agree that ultimately it was my call.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Smile

good point is that you can admit when you are wrong and take the means necessary to correct yourself next time!! That right there means a heck of a lot to us coaches! Keep it up Blue!! You'll be fine!