The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

In 12&under fastpitch league play last night.... the pitcher is on the mound getting ready to pitch. Hands apart by each side while she takes the signal. She then raises arms straight out in front of her bringing both hands together. She drops both arms to her side, brings both arms back out in front of her leaving the glove arm pointed at home plate, dropping ball hand directly behind her as far back as it can go and then windmills around making a complete rotation before the ball is released.

Kinda hard to explain in words....but maybe someone will understand and let me know if this is considered an illegal pitch or not.

Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

legal
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Am I correct on my understanding of the ASA rule that it wasn't illegal unless there were 2 full rotations?? The umpire tried to argue the point that she passed her hip too many times with the ball.....

Thanks for your reply!
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

What did the umpire call ?

Did the umpire call it legal or illegal ?
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

She never officially called it an illegal pitch because we were playing "league" ball but she made the pitcher change her pitching style so that she started the pitch with her arms extended straight out in front of her instead of resting by her side. I thought the pitch didn't start until the hands were together and then separated. This messed with my pitchers mind with trying to change something she had perfected over the past 5 years. The pitcher has had 3 different pitching coaches and she has NEVER been called on an illegal pitch during tournament ball yet.

Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I'd love to know exactly what rule the umpire thought he was using to enforce this. I've found that for the most part there are 3 types of umpires regarding illegal pitches.

Group 1 - the vast minority: Knows all of the rules, calls IP when someone violates the rules.

Group 2 - about 48%: Knows most of the rules, but never calls an IP unless a coach complains or the pitcher falls down.

Group 3 - about 48%: Knows a few of the rules, makes up reasons to call IP to make themselves feel like they appear to know what they are talking about. Most coaches that don't have great pitchers fall into this category.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I totally agree with that... this is a young umpired that is not able to play softball anymore because she just isn't that great at it but won't give up on the game so now she is an umpire at the age of 19 but thinks she knows EVERYTHING there is to know about softball......Even seasoned umpires have to rely on the rulebook sometimes and put that pride away and admit if they are wrong. No need to hurt the kids that are talented enough that could go all the way because of some selfish pride of some sort.