The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I don't know about the rest of you folk, but for us Sunday night co-ed is the lowest of the low. Most teams are there to have fun, picnic and be with their family and friends. So the skill level and understanding of the rules is VERY low. During my game last night, the pitcher pitched the big ball to a woman batter who hit it weakly to the Shortstop for an easy play at first. When the offensive team realized this they asked for a do over with the right ball. The defensive team agreed. So we had a do over. Now I know the rules, the play should stand. I think in the sprit of the game this was the right thing to do. Both teams had fun and thanked me for allowing them to modify the rule.
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BuggBob
I don't know about the rest of you folk, but for us Sunday night co-ed is the lowest of the low. Most teams are there to have fun, picnic and be with their family and friends. So the skill level and understanding of the rules is VERY low. During my game last night, the pitcher pitched the big ball to a woman batter who hit it weakly to the Shortstop for an easy play at first. When the offensive team realized this they asked for a do over with the right ball. The defensive team agreed. So we had a do over. Now I know the rules, the play should stand. I think in the sprit of the game this was the right thing to do. Both teams had fun and thanked me for allowing them to modify the rule.
Speaking ASA.

Apparently they know just a bit more than you think. Using the wrong ball in co-ed does give the manager the option of accepting the result of the play or having the batter return to the plate with the count the same as it was prior to hitting the ball, basically, a "do-over".

Old Mon May 16, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mike,

Boy is ther egg on my face. As it turns out I made the right call but for the wrong reasons.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

PS - Defense doesn't have to agree. Offense has the decision of whether to take the play or the "do-over", without any approval by the defense.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I used to work a coed league where you could see the fireworks display at the sate fair during the third of four games. when the first shot went up they called time we all went to center field, watched the show and then went back to the game. Happened for a full month, every week. Clock runs, we watch the show, show over, game on. It was almost like a vacation after mens and womens slow and American legion baseball all week long.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Wow, matrix. This, plus your comment on the umpire that's quitting.

You really are an @$$ - it wasn't just the rules posting thing - you're an @$$ all the way around. Go away now.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Wow, matrix. This, plus your comment on the umpire that's quitting.

You really are an @$$ - it wasn't just the rules posting thing - you're an @$$ all the way around. Go away now.
Mike,

Please don't feed the trolls.

Thanks,
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

My bad. This was the 2nd troll-comment I saw today, and I had not caught on with the trend. After this one, I saw what was happening, and generally joined in with the "Don't Feed the Trolls" campaign.