The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I seem to remember someone on this forum writing about putting together a sheet with comparisons of rules between ASA and NFHS.
In my area we are now into High School Softball. When May gets here we start ASA travel league softball. And in June we have 2 weeks with a very large NSA tounament in Schaumburg, Illinios.
To avoid confusion I have just started reading the ASA changes in rules this year. I have just finished phase 1 test and phase 2 test for NFHS and was afraid that starting to read ASA could confuse me before taking tests.
Is there a sheet someone has to clearly define the differences between the rules.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Steve M I believe has done something on this and will be on here shortly I'm sure to tell you how to get his info. I have found a site that show differeces and the different league rules listed on their website it is Umpzone.com check it out and see if its what your looking for.

Keep em coming guys

Don
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Rule differences

The booklet I've put together shows most (I'd say all, but I keep finding more) of the differences between ASA and NFHS. And it is current for the 2001 season. I've looked at umpzone.com and have downloaded their book. It is very well done - much more attractive than mine. For next year, I may "copy" their style. The problem that I see with this, Roger found the same thing, is that it appears to not be current. Working from my memory - 'cuz I ain't gonna read an old rule book while in season - I think it's current for the 1999 season. I'd say that if you're already very solid in your understanding of the rules, the umpzone.com book is a good starting point. Download it - you will need Adobe's Acrobat - and then update it to make it current.

Or you can wait for the Fed folks to get done with and give their "final approval" to the booklet I have done. I am hoping that it's done & out by the end of March, but there are no guarantees from them. I will not be making any money from it, maybe a little recognition. Anyway, it they have not started to send this out to high school chapters by the end of the month, I'm willing to send out an unofficial copy at that time.

Collin, for now, just stick with the NFHS rule book and case book. For the most part, the rules are the same as ASA's - I'll assume the same for NSA. The differences are dumb for the most part - just a way for each of these sanctioning bodies to put their own stamp on and justify their existance as a softball sanctioning body.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Collin,
Steve gave good advice. In nearly every game the calls made by Fed 2001 rules would get you by. The differences between the leagues are actaully minor, and usually only come into play on the "wierd" situations. A Fed umpire could probably call an ASA or NSA game without a problem if he justs makes the pitcher adhere to ASA rules. (I've never umpired either, but have coached in both)

I tend to learn the Fed rules, and then study differences when I do USSSA or Pony tournments, craming a bit the night before I do the tournment.

Steve has done an exelcent job on his paper, and I look forward to the Feds putting it out. I have done a short document on the differences in USSSA and Fed rules. They are very close for 2001. If anyone needs that just let me know.

Roger Greene,
Member UT