The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

SITCH #1
1 man crew for the JV portion of JV/VAR DH. I show up for JV game , walk out on the field and the coaches start arguing about game time. I mean a good old fashioned red faced spit flying shouting match. I felt since i walked on the field ,15 minutes before 1st pitch, I had the right to send them to their rooms till the managers meeting. i start the pre-game conference and they all start at it again. So I gave them all a team warning for unsporting behavior. Told them the next one to talk out of turn would be ejected. Solved the problem. Did i handle this correctly ?

SiTCH #2
varsity game-I am BU. Line drive to the gap, I buttonhook ,F3 OBS the BR , I give delayed dead ball signal. Behind me the third base coach,previous games JV coach, starts screaming thats INTERFERENCE, THATS INTERFERENCE. I mean he is screaming loudly. My question is should I have said something to him about trying to influence an umpires decision or would that have been looking for boogers ?
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

So you've had a problem-coach who doesn't no the diff. between OBS and INT. Nor that he knows how to talk to an umpire?
In first case imo you've done right; giving a warning.
In second case ingoring him might influence the game, but talking to him is giving in to him. I think I would talk to the team-captain, not with the coach... But when both cases were in one game, he was gone!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

#1. It worked, as good a solution as there might be.

#2. That depends on your ability to sell the process. Your options are 1) ignore him, 2) when the play is over, ask him if he couldn't see your arm out, 3) when the play is over, ask him if he really wants you to call his runner out for interference. My personal favorite response would be #2, but any or all responses could work for you; I don't believe there is any ONE answer that is absolutely correct.
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

#1 - you did good.

#2 - I would not have said a word to him. I WOULD have talked to head coach, explaining that A) I did see the obstruction and signalled it before moron went nuts, and B) I would not tolerate moron going nuts any more. Let the manager handle it.