The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Fed only
On an overthrow at first base, if the backup touches the ball before it goes into the dead-ball area, does it effect the awarded bases?
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Fed only
On an overthrow at first base, if the backup touches the ball before it goes into the dead-ball area, does it effect the awarded bases?
My understanding is that it is not who last touched it, but who supplied the impetus to cause the ball to go into dead ball territory. If a fielder (F3 or a backup) touched the ball, or even had the ball hit them hard enough to change direction, before going into deadball territory the award would still be from the time of the throw, since it was the energy of the thrower that caused the ball to travel into dead ball territory. If the ball stops but is then accidentally kicked, bumped, nudged, etc. by another fielder and that action causes the ball to go into dead ball territory, the award is then made from that point.

I have no FED (or other softball organization) ruling to support this opinion. It is taken from a bâsêb壣 intrepretation. (I spell bâsêb壣 like that in case anyone has their web security set up to block dirty works like bâsêb壣. )
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

"Touching" means nothing. Who supplied the impetus that causes the ball to go into DBT, does.

Bob