The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

I did my first set of games in 7 years last night. It was great to be back, but the adrenaline was flowing and I was way too fast in making calls. Had some real bad mistakes, ie making the wrong signal or calling the play too soon. Was doing SP and also had trouble with the illegal pitches. Overall not too bad though, shook the rust off. Also being in game shape, especially for 4 games, may take a few nights. Had cramps in my calves for the 3rd and fourth games. Any suggestions on preventing them, still sore this morning. I just kept moving and ignored them the best I could. Got complements all night on my hustle though, so that was a plus. One question: What should I do about jacket if I don't have an ASA one yet and the only navy jacket I have has a logo from work? It is supposed to be in the 40's today and if the rain isn't too bad we will play. I want to look the best I can, but I also cannot be standing there shivering and wet all night.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Before my first games every year (any sport), I take an extra full-spectrum vitamin, and extra potassium for the 2 days before the first game. I also stretch out for half an hour BEFORE I get in my car, and stretch again when I get to the field. Almost never have a cramp problem anymore.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Drink water

Even if it is not hot (and it sounds like it will not be), you should be sure that you are getting enough fluids. You may have to choke it down, but it is crucial. mc's advice is good as well, but good 'ol H20 is vital for helping with muscle cramps and spasms. Good luck.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Yesterday it was about 80 when the first game began. I should have started drinking water before the games and not waited until I was thirsty. Thanks - this was never a problem when I was younger(maybe its the age, 30 extra pounds, or the fact I'm not in game shape yet)
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

I bet it was a great feeling to get back onto the field. As for the cramps, the other advice is good, but my bet is that in a few weeks, after you've been calling a lot, you won't even notice. How did your games tonight go? Feeling better about the timing?

Sara
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
...Had some real bad mistakes, ie making the wrong signal or calling the play too soon.
... Had cramps in my calves... Got complements all night on my hustle though
For the cramps, my partners never have them, and they never hustle. Maybe there's your problem. But if you want the follow the other's advice, bananas, orange juice and brocolli are high in potassium. Also, remember that you're carrying three 1-gallon jugs of milk during the whole game. A gallon jug weighs about 10 pounds and you said you had 30 extra pounds. Me, I carry at least six of them.

Wrong signal: There's a story about a entertaining umpire in the '70's named Ron Luciano. He had a close play on a steal at second. He yelled safe, but threw up a big fist in the air. The players asked, which call he was making. He told them something like, "Two of you just heard 'safe', but sixty thousand people just saw the 'out' signal. You're definitely out."
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

I haven't had problems with cramps in about three years since I've been umpire "inside" all three winters...never had more than about 3 weeks off from umpiring. I drink plenty of water daily, drink gatorade about 1 1/2 hours before game, and have a snack before the game. If doing two or more, I'll get a snack between...something small (like a full pizza ) Seriously, know what your body needs and you'll be fine.

Always stretch those calves before and after the game. If I do a lot of games in one day, I'll come home and my wife makes me do some yoga stretching. Feels pretty good.
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Yesterdays games went much better. No cramps either, drank lots of water even though the temp was only in the 40s. Today I'm just very sore - just not used to that amount of exercise two nights in a row (4 games each night). Thanks for all the advice.

I think I'm only carrying 25 extra pounds now