The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

R1 on 3rd, Batter hits a grounder to the infield. Fielder throws home to try to get the runner coming in from 3rd. Batter dropped her bat in the left side batter's box, in the baseline, about 1 foot on the 3rd base side of home plate (bat is in a place that would make it impossible for her to slide, and touch the plate without hitting the bat). R1 decides not to slide, I assume because she felt that the bat was in her way - R1 steps over the bat, and touches the plate ahead of the tag. Pitcher immediately complains, stating that the runner "has to slide". I know that this is not true, but here is my theoretical question. Let's assume that the runner did not slide, and was tagged out. Is there any call regarding the bat being in the way (I assume not, but just want to check)? Also, do you fellow umps try to get the bat out of the baseline prior to the runner reaching the area if possible? I've seen, and done it myself - a quick kick of the bat into fout territory if there is time.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I don't touch bats during the game. A discarded bat is part of the playing field and there are rules written to handle situation that come up with the discarded bat.

If I kick it out of the way or pick it up and toss it aside, I run the risk of hitting someone with it and I don't need that headache or liability.

I have also seen some umpires pick up the discarded bat after the third out and hand it to the coach or player as they head to the dugout. I won't do this either, because it may be convienent for me to do so for one team at the end of an inning, but not the other. I don't need to give any impression that I am favoring one team over another.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I always, when possible,just nudged the bat out of the way with my foot. Remember, a thrown ball hitting a bat can hit YOU in the face.

NEVER pick up and throw a bat. A friend of mine did this a few years ago, and hit the on-deck batter. Luckily, there wasn't much damage to the player, and my friend had liability insurance.

Bob
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

If it's in the basepath between 3rd and home, and I have time without compromising anything, I'll nudge it a foot or two off the baseline.

But in the sitch described, you have nothing. Rule normally as if the bat was not there.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Streamdoc knows that if he touches that bat, GEH will swoop down on him from parts unknown and do a cup check.

I never touch, nudge, slide or anything else with a bat. Besides the repercussions that could come in case someone is injured, I don't have $300 to replace it if all of a sudden it has a crack or a flat spot and, of course, it's the umpire's fault because he did thus and so...

For the same reasons I won't touch a catcher's helmet/mask, largely for the reasons Andy pointed out: if I pick it up and hand it back for one team's catcher and then for whatever reason don't for the other team, well obviously I am favoring Team A...sigh.

Old Tue May 10, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

no worries

No worries about the cup check. I even wear mine when I'm on the bases - so let GEH swoop all he wants.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

With that new hip, he can really swoop now. You know how he is about those pesky bats

But that brings up another point, which means I am hijacking your post. Since I helped get you into this blue crew, I can do that...

How do folks feel about "encouraging" on deck batters to GET THE @#$%%%@$ bat out of the way (when possible)?????? Seems we have a lot of coaches who don't coach that...
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I don't mess with player's equipment - bats, helmets, whatever.

I certainly would not encourage the on-deck batter to do anything but stay out of the way herself during live ball action.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Dakota on that one John. I've seen to many oblivious on-deck batters potentially in the way of the play, walking in front of the catcher, etc. to encourage that. I like Andy's original answer - the bat is part of the playing field, and let the rules handle it. Seems much easier that way. I'll probably continue to nudge it backward out of the way if I can, but will definately pick my spots to do so. When in doub't, leave it out - that's my new motto for that situation. BTW - no big woop on highjacking the post.

[Edited by streamdoc on May 10th, 2005 at 05:49 PM]
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

GEH be damned...

The only time I'm touching the bat is in this situation. A slight kick will usually get it out of the way, and no one's the wiser. Besides, everyone else is usually watching the ball, not me.

Now if I slip and fall on my butt... (no, that hasn't happened yet.)
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of hijacking a post.....

I recently worked a game where my partner - on the bases - would clean the pitcher's plate and place the ball near/on it in between innings. I mentioned to him that since I was sure he did not want the players touching his balls, he should not touch their balls. He understood & made the change - but the pervert wasn't so sure he agreed with the first part of my statement.

Equipment belongs to the players. They will handle it and it is covered by the rules. Don't touch.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by streamdoc
Is there any call regarding the bat being in the way (I assume not, but just want to check)?
If the offensive coach complains, I say, "Coach, you might want to ask your player not to put it there."

If the defensive coach complains, I say, "Coach. I don't want to get in your catchers way, but she can always move it if she doesn't like where it is."