The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Nothing I did on this play was right or satisfied me. I did a game Friday between two church high schools using Fed rules. In my area these schools are,at best, generally medium level rec-like teams who play hard and do the best they can. I'm plate. Runner on first. 2-2 count to the batter. Next pitch is ball 3. Pitcher gets ball back and is standing in the circle when runner takes a 3-4 step/jump off the bag. I look at my partner, he's looking in a different direction, so I call dead ball runner out for leaving early. 1st base coach shakes his head and says to me "it was my fault blue, I thought it was ball 4". I say "I'm reversing the call. Coach made a mistake on the count" and put the girl back on 1st. Immediately defensive coach (team leading 10-3) asks to come out and begins telling me how I can't reverse that, the girl broke the rule and too bad if the coach made a mistake. I'm a bit taken back by his lack of sportsmanship and turn around and say to first base coach "sorry, I've got to call her out. Coach is right about the RULES". Offense accepts ruling and game goes on.

As I said, I'm not happy with anything about the play or any of my rulings. My question is did I have any rule (other than the golden rule) to stand on for my intial call of putting the runner back? I was using the level of play in my consideration.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
Nothing I did on this play was right or satisfied me. I did a game Friday between two church high schools using Fed rules. In my area these schools are,at best, generally medium level rec-like teams who play hard and do the best they can. I'm plate. Runner on first. 2-2 count to the batter. Next pitch is ball 3. Pitcher gets ball back and is standing in the circle when runner takes a 3-4 step/jump off the bag. I look at my partner, he's looking in a different direction, so I call dead ball runner out for leaving early. 1st base coach shakes his head and says to me "it was my fault blue, I thought it was ball 4". I say "I'm reversing the call. Coach made a mistake on the count" and put the girl back on 1st. Immediately defensive coach (team leading 10-3) asks to come out and begins telling me how I can't reverse that, the girl broke the rule and too bad if the coach made a mistake. I'm a bit taken back by his lack of sportsmanship and turn around and say to first base coach "sorry, I've got to call her out. Coach is right about the RULES". Offense accepts ruling and game goes on.

As I said, I'm not happy with anything about the play or any of my rulings. My question is did I have any rule (other than the golden rule) to stand on for my intial call of putting the runner back? I was using the level of play in my consideration.

At any game 12U rec league and above, especially FED, I ring that up.

Besides, you dont take a 3-4 step jump/lead on a walk. you jog/run to second after the pitch. Sounds like the coach was making up BS to weasel out of a call and play to your good nature and almost got away with it.

And tell that partner of yours to pay attention, hes working a game.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

At any game 12U rec league and above, especially FED, I ring that up.

Besides, you dont take a 3-4 step jump/lead on a walk. you jog/run to second after the pitch. Sounds like the coach was making up BS to weasel out of a call and play to your good nature and almost got away with it.

And tell that partner of yours to pay attention, hes working a game.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

One thing I can say about this coach making things up: that ain't happening. I've did plenty of games with this team. They pray before and after the game ( and sometimes during)and if this coach says he made a mistake, he made a mistake. I'm not saying that justifies my call but one thing for sure, there was no ill intent from the coach.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

yeah, i know coaches like that where I would believe them because I know them. You gotta call it straight though.

Old Mon May 02, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Hey Wade...looks like you have a redunacy problem lately.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Hey Wade...looks like you have a redunacy problem lately.
LOL, fixed!

wha happened?

dunno.

Old Mon May 02, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Jimmy - you're always better off calling the game by the rules, instead of trying to be a nice guy.

If you are 'by the book", you have something to back you up. If you are trying to be a nice guy, as in this instance, the other coach has every right to complain and possibly wonder what other rules you may suspend or overlook during the game. Sounds like you ultimately got in right, but defensive coach now has a little less confidence in your ablility as an umpire.