The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

If they're out, I call em out.
If they're safe, I call em safe.

I've heard guys tell me that this is a game of outs. Anything close is an out. Once we get enough outs, we get to go home. I'm glad I don't work with them to much.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the above that say call it like you see it.

SS bobbles the ball, recovers and fires a strike for a bang-bang play at first. Well, was the runner going hard the whole time, or did they just jog the first few steps thinking it was an easy play for the SS. I would think that you were watching the ball since you saw the SS bobble so how do you know how much effort the BR was putting forth. Just don't see how you can make calls based on effort if you don't see the effort of everyone.

Personally, when I am coaching, I have a lot more respect for the guys that make the right call instead of the expected call.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I would be suprised to see anyone advocate calling what you think should be called based on effort or something else over calling what you see. In fact, if you think fast enough to do that, kudos to you. I have trouble enough focussing on the play without cycling through a bunch of scenarios where I consider what should be called in a given circumstance.

I think there are some umpiring Tips wrt bang bang plays, especially when training new umpires who grew up hearing "tie base goes to the runner" ... but calling what you see is an essential element of all calls.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

As you all have said call what you see. I am not in a popularity contest, well I guess we (in Indiana) are to a certain degree since coaches vote on post season official placement but forget that for now. I agree make the right call, but the thought process listed above on "A" for effort is one that I believe for any 'tie' that occurres. I know that only 1 in 10,000,000 would ever be a tie, but instead of the old "tie goes to the runner" this theory spreads out the ties. BUT I agree that this should only be used 1 a year maybe, the other times pay attention and call what happened!!!!!
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Watch the ball leave the fielders hand. Watch the foot touch the base. Hear the ball hit the glove. Make sure its caught. Make the call whatever it is.