The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I am a 1st yr umpire, so I am asking for some slack here if I step on it. IMO the method of imparting rules knowledge to the new umpire is very inefficent and less than engaging. Giving me this technical manual ,then some questions and then telling me to go forth and learn is just not good.
I have had Calculus questions that were easier to figure out then just figuring out where to begin here.
I picked Question #87 as my example. For the new umpire where does the new umpire even begin to look for the information to answer this question ? Should I start with interference, dead balls, or didn't I hear something about a IFR, the question doesn't mention tagging up etc..
After spending ten intimate minutes with my thumb and the index section I have almost forgotten what the heck I was looking for.
Whew got that one now only 99 to go. Its boring and not very time efficent.
The reason in college they have you buy the book, go to the class for instuction/ask questions and then take the test is because that works a little better than handing you the Calculus textbook , a test, and telling you to go for it.
I haven't come up with a better plan but the current system seems to be a little than efficent. BE NICE
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

You said a mouthful and it goes for me too. Im relatively new and appreciate this forum, but nothing here takes the place of working with veteran officials. Stick around and you will learn scenerio that will help.

Did you get a chance to know all the right answers on the test? If not, you need them to go back and study the questions with the right answers. It helped me alot. Know the definitions inside and out; that clears most of the mud up for me.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I didn't do a very good job of expressing my bottom line in my first post.

I want to talk about the posting of the answers without all the moral outrage.

I accept that some people were upset but that led me into the learning system for new officials. I will learn the all the rules and how to apply them in the proper sitch. I did pretty good in basketball-learning rules and applying them-so I assume the same will happen in softball.
I think having the references for the questions then looking them up is better then spending alot of time in the index section spinning my wheels hoping to eventually get to the right section AND then starting to learn.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

In the beginning I was told that (in a sense) learn to umpire is like to learn riding a bike.
Somebody can explain to you what to do.
But you won't learn it by studying the right movements. It's not so easy.
No classroom nor professors will be good enough to teach you how you can succeed to do it: you have to try it by yourself and expect some (little?) scars and failures before you understand it FOR REAL.
You have to try it and then try it again and again.
Tests are just tools. Just a little part of the learning process. And I think you (you umpires in the States) have to say thanks for having such great tools and plenty of opportunity to go to clinics or learn from the veterans.
That's why I use to read almost every topic discussed in this forum: it's great to learn from ALL of you.

Because of all the above I just cannot understand why you consider the system not so good...

A.

P.S. Sorry for my poor english...
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
I didn't do a very good job of expressing my bottom line in my first post.

I want to talk about the posting of the answers without all the moral outrage.

I accept that some people were upset but that led me into the learning system for new officials. I will learn the all the rules and how to apply them in the proper sitch. I did pretty good in basketball-learning rules and applying them-so I assume the same will happen in softball.
I think having the references for the questions then looking them up is better then spending alot of time in the index section spinning my wheels hoping to eventually get to the right section AND then starting to learn.
Chess,

If you travel across the US by car vs. plane, wouldn't you have a chance to see more?

The rules are intertwined, and digging for the answers is the best way to gain the working knowledge you need to become a good umpire. IMO, these ASA tests are designed to make you have to search, or travel by car through the book. Just getting answers correct on a test will not em-bed the rules in your mind. Having to search, and use, and understand the rules will! I will bet that next year you won't feel the same!

One suggestion; get the ASA case play book, it is a wonderful study tool.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

"IMO the method of imparting rules knowledge to the new umpire is very inefficent and less than engaging."

Maybe you should qualify your statement by adding, "in my area". How many thousands of umpire associations must there be? I'm sure that some go beyond this basic form of instruction, while others might offer even less.

I've run into this very thing and seen it go both ways. For example, my local ASA association seems to follow what you are describing. The rule classes are not much more than a dry reading from a book, as if the new umpire will memorize it front-to-back by rote.

You can go beyond this on your own, by attending national clinics, reading any additional material you can get your hands on, asking lots of questions to experienced umpires and even by participating in discussion boards, like this one.

We don't even have to take the ASA test to become certified, but the instructor encouraged us to take it on our own and he would grade it and discuss any questions we had. So, it can be used as a learning tool, but somewhere along the line someone is going to have to supply the answers so you can see what areas you need to work on.

By contrast, my local baseball umpire association is much more geared toward training and education. Before gaining my certification (FED baseball), there was a mandatory 8 week rules class. After that, passing the 100 question FED baseball test was also mandatory.

The guys that taught the beginners class were both educators- one a middle school history teacher, the other a college chemistry professor.

They guy teaching our mandatory second year class is pursuing his masters degree in education, and makes the material easy to learn. Having instructors that know how to teach can make any subject fun and interesting!

Our membership has many umpires doing college ball, several former minor league pros and even a major league umpire- Tim Timmons- who resides in the central Ohio area and is a frequent guest lecturer.

Last week we had our annual mechanics clinic. This is very well run, with many experienced instructors. Drills are run on a local field, with high school players running bases and batting. Classroom instruction is given throughout the day. Home plate mechanics are video taped and critiqued, then you have a chance to go back in the cage and be taped again. And, you get to keep your tape for personal review.

Even within the same city, you can have a night-and-day difference in umpire education. If you feel that your local association isn't teaching you well, take it upon yourself to pursue every other educational resourse you can find.

[Edited by BretMan on Mar 16th, 2005 at 11:04 AM]
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Amen, but know this, after my first post i was suspected to be a troll, maybe even still. Dont sweat the moral/ethical stuff here, not the place for it because of anonymity(sp?) I enjoy engaging conversation too, just not flamers and judgement.

Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I will defintely second the opinion of digging through and reading the rule books to learn how to umpire. I will also say that there is no substitute for experience. In all of the sports that I have officiated, I took as many contests as possible for the first few years, any level, anywhere. At some of the lower and recreational levels you may see stuff happen that won't happen anywhere else and you have to rule on it. Even if you blow the call, you will never forget that particular ruling.

Also - watch good veteran umpires work and ask questions about situations and calls that came up in their games.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Several good suggestions given, Chess - try them.

Here's some phrased a little differently
1-RTFM - Read the F****** manual (rule book AND umpire manual) - there's no substitute.
2-Watch the good umps in your area work a game, then talk with them about the how's & why's...
3-Keep an umpire's diary or journal - make note of everything strange in youur game, what you ruled & so on. Then get the rule book and note what the rule sez. Review this diary a couple of times each year.
4-Now & then, work a higher level game than your normal
5-go back to #1

Addition - One more thing, Chess - welcome aboard.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by gtfreek
but know this, after my first post i was suspected to be a troll,
Hey, c'mon! I recognized you for what you truly are... a smarta$$! Right?
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, but with the best at heart.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking to the answers to the ASA test..

This was the first year I've been able to know the answers to the test or how I did (because they were posted here).. I've turned it in to my UIC and never heard about it again in the past. (it never dawned on me to go looking on the net for the answers)

In fed ball.. we take the test at home and at the next clinic the UIC gives you the answers.

I think there was a slight over reaction to the posting of the answers.. but it is understandable.

If the test was a board like exam, that determined if you ump, I would agree.. but the test is very informal to begin with, and if you cheat on it, you only cheat yourself... in which case, it will all come out in the wash.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Mar 16th, 2005 at 01:27 PM]
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Once again, you need to remember that not everyone has yet to take the test. In my area, they will not for another three weeks.

And, no, you don't only cheat yourself. You cheat the people paying you to go on the field and umpire the game by this year's rules. They are not paying you to umpire based on what you believe what the rules are or what they were ten years ago, the last time you actually paid attention at the clinics or test.

To be honest with you, there are a LOT of "umpires" out there that act in that exact manner. Eventually, it catches up with them and it can often get ugly on the field because of it.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

still a slight overreaction... some reaction is justified and expected - but this is not the end of all umpiring as we know it.

I took my test, I took you up on your offer to grade but you never responded to me.. the answers were posted here and I was glad to see them and used them to grade my own test. Of course you dont owe me to grade my test, but had they not been posted here, I would not been able to self grade my test and learn from it... it would have been turned in and gone whereever it is ASA exams go to die.

I think they should publish the answers.

Attitude in wanting to learn proper umpiring is not affected by availability of answers. Either you are a cheater and cheat or you try hard, read this board and other study, and try to learn - or you skate.

The availability of the answers is not the quantitative marker of that desire to learn.

If it were, the ASA would outline exactly how the exam was to be taken, actually grade the exam, and use it as a board. It is not a board, it is a tool for learning. Big difference IMO.

None of your umpires who have yet to take the test will be negatively affected by having the answers.. either they know and learn or they dont. If they are a cheater to begin with, you have other issues with them, the answers to make a squat of difference.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Wade - i agree. Whether you are new or veteran, having the answers before or after the test is helpful since you dont even have to take the test to get certified. Its not he determining factor, so why all the fuss? That matrix guy will probably never be heard or replied to here because of the reactions of a few members.