The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
I called a 14U Fastpitch Girls ASA / Grand Slam Tournament this past weekend in Dublin, GA.

I was so suprise to see a umpire in doing Home Plate just wearing shorts. YES indeed, just shorts, he had a fasemask and chest protector, but wearing shorts and NO NO shin guards. He hide behind the catcher all day long...

Have you ever seen that be for....?

I had fun at the tournament, My partner and I called the Championship game in 14U. The game was Georgia Heat Black vs. GA Heatwave. The game end in a run rule in the bottom of the 5th. The girl that was pitching for Georgia Heat Black, she was throwing the ball like it was still the first inning.

As we where leaving around 10:45pm. The guy in shorts was getting ready to call his championship game still behind the plate wearing shorts. I believe he was back there all day long. Guess his partner did not have any equipment?
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

seen it in rec league, never in big tourneys

I know a few umpires who wear no protective gear at all except the mask.

I got nothing to prove though so I wear it. I've taken so many shots I cant imagine not wearing it.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Our Area UIC will not allow shorts in the park to be worn by any Umpire unless it's slowpitch

I did 8 Games last weekend and took two shots off the mask, three off the legs, two shot to my left forearm, one to the special protector that I almost didn't wear, and one that left ball stitches on my right wrist.

My UIC tells me that I am doing a good job staying in the slot and making sure that I see the pitch. I think he is paying the pitchers, and catchers to intentially work me over.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
seen it in rec league, never in big tourneys

I know a few umpires who wear no protective gear at all except the mask.

I got nothing to prove though so I wear it. I've taken so many shots I cant imagine not wearing it.
I have never understood those umpires who think that it is "macho" or something to go without the gear. I called a HS game with a guy who was proud of the fact that he has never owned nor worn a cup. Watching him behind the plate I can see the impact that the lack of this particular piece of gear had on him. He was also a "hider."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
I called a 14U Fastpitch Girls ASA / Grand Slam Tournament this past weekend in Dublin, GA.

I was so suprise to see a umpire in doing Home Plate just wearing shorts. YES indeed, just shorts, he had a fasemask and chest protector, but wearing shorts and NO NO shin guards. He hide behind the catcher all day long...

Have you ever seen that be for....?

I had fun at the tournament, My partner and I called the Championship game in 14U. The game was Georgia Heat Black vs. GA Heatwave. The game end in a run rule in the bottom of the 5th. The girl that was pitching for Georgia Heat Black, she was throwing the ball like it was still the first inning.

As we where leaving around 10:45pm. The guy in shorts was getting ready to call his championship game still behind the plate wearing shorts. I believe he was back there all day long. Guess his partner did not have any equipment?
Hey Ed, Guess I should have come over there and seen that! Larry was looking for some umpires from here, I don't think any went. We were spread out with HS baseball make-up stuff, rec make-up, college games, and had 3 out with GISA playoffs! I'm surprised Larry didn't say someting about the shorts though, he can be somewhat vocal! An association close by, in AL wears shorts for FB and baseball. They wear shingaurds though! Just doesn't look good to me at all.

We did the Grand Slam two weeks ago in Columbus. Had fun at that one, worked 8 straight saturday, 5 more sunday, some run rules, some blow-outs, but the game between the 16U heat, and the 16U Fernandez Lightning was great. Extra innings, low scoring game til the sixth, but never a dull moment in the field. Both of those teams catchers would attempt and make pick-offs at 2B FROM THEIR KNEES! Look for those two if you get a chance.

Grand Slam will be here this weekend, looks like a pretty good one, (SB and BB). There were some 18U teams registered (per website) but they have disappeared. Anyway, I'll probably be calling all weekend $$$$
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

HORRIBLE !!!

also--any umpire who doesn't
"gear up" and hides behind the
catcher shouldn't be working !!
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

Hey Ed, Guess I should have come over there and seen that! Larry was looking for some umpires from here, I don't think any went. We were spread out with HS baseball make-up stuff, rec make-up, college games, and had 3 out with GISA playoffs! I'm surprised Larry didn't say someting about the shorts though, he can be somewhat vocal! An association close by, in AL wears shorts for FB and baseball. They wear shingaurds though! Just doesn't look good to me at all.

We did the Grand Slam two weeks ago in Columbus. Had fun at that one, worked 8 straight saturday, 5 more sunday, some run rules, some blow-outs, but the game between the 16U heat, and the 16U Fernandez Lightning was great. Extra innings, low scoring game til the sixth, but never a dull moment in the field. Both of those teams catchers would attempt and make pick-offs at 2B FROM THEIR KNEES! Look for those two if you get a chance.

Grand Slam will be here this weekend, looks like a pretty good one, (SB and BB). There were some 18U teams registered (per website) but they have disappeared. Anyway, I'll probably be calling all weekend $$$$ [/B]
Hey Buddy, I knew I was in your area, I wish you where there also to see it. Larry is a cool guy. We both watch some of the game that the guy was calling. Just hiding like a scared rabbit behind the catcher.

Hell I wear soccer shin guards down here in SP Men's and Co-ed. The good teams (men's) know how to steal, but the team that forgets, well you know right in the shin.. Then in co-ed, well you know the same thing...

I wish I was going down to call this weekend, but I have father things to do....

Maybe next time..

Ed