The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Question

In last night's game, I had a situation where the batter was obstructed going to 1st, missed the base on her way to what turned out to be a home run.
Okay guys, what's the call?
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

out on proper appeal

so sad to bad your dad.

Even if it was an over the fence real home run where they missed a base.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

What about this one?

I can't say that I've ever seen this one, and I think it would be highly unlikely, but here goes.

What if the base coach actually touched the runner as s/he was rounding the bases after a homerun? Now, I'm not talking about a high five or other congratulatory action, but if for some reason the runner stopped or hesitated, and the base coach manually urged them forward. Would you have an out?
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

more than that..

I have an enjoyable out.

I like those.

Edit..

oh wait.. you said on a HR.. so I assume real dead ball hr.

no.

During liveball play though, I'm ringing that up.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Apr 27th, 2005 at 12:51 PM]
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Can you give me the actual rule or where in the case book that explains this exactly?
As a clinitian, I'd like to be sure on this one.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry to interject a BB reference here, but Mark McGuire should have been called out back in 1998 when he hit his 62nd HR that season. Next time you see the replay, watch how First Base Coach Dave McKay grabs McGuire, who stepped right over first base after the bear hug, and the coach had him step back and touch it. Imagine if he had been called out after all of the buildup. Doing steroids isn't bad enough, but downright cheatin' the rules is terrible! (sic)
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rj
Can you give me the actual rule or where in the case book that explains this exactly?
As a clinitian, I'd like to be sure on this one.
I don't believe this is specific address in the rule book other than a runner has to touch bases, whether normally or when awarded. I'm wondering if you have seen anything that would give her the right to not touch it.

Also, I'm thinking it would be mighty difficult to get obstruction on an over the fence home run. Did the fielder lay on top of the base and completely block it off? Considering there is no time requirement to advancing, I don't see how obstruction could happen.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

The actual case was not an over-the-fence HR. That was just mentioned by "wadeintothem" in his reply.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I have obstruction, DDB, B-R protected to 1B. B-R is allowed to go beyond protected base, which she did and make it all the way home. Good for her.

But runners still have to touch awarded bases and the defense can properly appeal for a missed base. In which case I would say:

NO! In my judgment the runner touched the base!

WMB
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rj
The actual case was not an over-the-fence HR. That was just mentioned by "wadeintothem" in his reply.
I was addressing the missed base, not the OBS.

OBS is completely irrelevent to a missed base appeal.

WMB's solution may be the most correct one, unless it was so blatant everyone saw it, but you cannot mix OBS and missed base, the rules are separate.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Did this play "turn into a home run" via errors, or was it truly an ITP HR?

The reason I ask, is that WMB has only protected this runner to first. RJ - where did you protect them to?

Let's say this is a liner past everyone that rolls to the fence - I see OBS and protect to home. Runner misses first and continues around. It is incumbent on me (PU or BU) to announce OBS and award home. The runner now, if coach saw the missed base, can retreat in order and touch em all in order. I see so many umpires just not mention the OBS on a play like this where runner ended up exactly where they'd protected her to, when they should still announce the award, just in case.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

There is obstruction you let the play unfold and if the runner is not put out they stay where they reach safely .
If they have missed a base they return to touch but they wouldnt be then protected back to where they wer and certainly wouldnt be "given the bases ".If appealed for missing a base they are then out .
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Rule Ref, debeau? A base award is a base award, and doesn't change just because runner decides to go back and retouch something he/she missed during live-ball action.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

On reflection and a re-read I agree in part .
If a runner returns to touch a base say first and they were obstructed between 1st and 2nd .
Yes they are still protected between those bases .
As to award of a base , well we still have a fundemental difference as to how we treat obstruction and that wont change .
See I can admit I was wrong but most of all this forum makes me and no doubt others go back to a rule we thought we knew and then get it right .
I admit to that !