The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Pitcher stands on pitching plate to get sign. Pitcher brings hands together with ball, hands separate, hand with ball swings backward and then forward to shoulder height then backward and then finally forward into a windmill motion delivering the pitch. My question is… Is this a legal pitching style?
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pitchers Dad
Pitcher stands on pitching plate to get sign. Pitcher brings hands together with ball, hands separate, hand with ball swings backward and then forward to shoulder height then backward and then finally forward into a windmill motion delivering the pitch. My question is… Is this a legal pitching style?
No. It violates NFHS 6-1-4-c, "The pitcher may use any windup desired provided the pitcher does not use a windup in which there is a stop or reversal of the forward motion."

This rule allows one backswing; not two.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Thanks but what about Pony rules?
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ART. 4 . . . The pitcher may use any windup desired provided:

a. no motion to pitch is made without immediately delivering the ball to the batter.
b. the pitcher does not use a rocker action in which, after having the ball in both hands in pitching position, she removes one hand from the ball, takes a backward and forward swing and returns the ball to both hands in front of the body.
c. the pitcher does not use a windup in which there is a stop or reversal of the forward motion.
d. the pitcher does not make more than one revolution of the arm in the windmill pitch. A pitcher may drop the pitching arm to the side and to the rear before starting the windmill motion. The ball does not have to be released the first time past the hip.

NOTE: One revolution is interpreted as "not two revolutions," provided the pitching arm is dropped to the side and to the rear before starting the windmill motion.

e. the pitcher does not continue to wind up after taking the forward step or after the ball is released.

I don't see anything wrong with the pitch as you described it but it does throw my timing off when I have a pitcher that does this and I'm behind the plate...

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Okay... We now have two opposite opinions?????????
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Quote:
ART. 4 . . . The pitcher may use any windup desired provided:

a. no motion to pitch is made without immediately delivering the ball to the batter.
b. the pitcher does not use a rocker action in which, after having the ball in both hands in pitching position, she removes one hand from the ball, takes a backward and forward swing and returns the ball to both hands in front of the body.
c. the pitcher does not use a windup in which there is a stop or reversal of the forward motion.
d. the pitcher does not make more than one revolution of the arm in the windmill pitch. A pitcher may drop the pitching arm to the side and to the rear before starting the windmill motion. The ball does not have to be released the first time past the hip.

NOTE: One revolution is interpreted as "not two revolutions," provided the pitching arm is dropped to the side and to the rear before starting the windmill motion.

e. the pitcher does not continue to wind up after taking the forward step or after the ball is released.

I don't see anything wrong with the pitch as you described it but it does throw my timing off when I have a pitcher that does this and I'm behind the plate...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
No. It violates NFHS 6-1-4-c, "The pitcher may use any windup desired provided the pitcher does not use a windup in which there is a stop or reversal of the forward motion."

This rule allows one backswing; not two.
Ooopps.. I wondered about that one... But was caught up on b. with the not bringing her hands back together... I guess I blew this one last week and no one said anything about it during the half of the game this pitcher was in!

Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would go with Dakota....

Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, we have one correct ruling and one opposing opinion!

BTW, Pony rules are the same: 7-4-c

Once the pitcher begins her windup (separates the hands OR makes any motion that is part of the windup after the hands are brought together), the pitcher may make a backswing (allowed by NFHS 6-1-4-d or Pony 7-4-d) but otherwise may not reverse the forward motion.

Taking the arm back, then forward, then back, then forward is illegal.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

No problem!!! Thanks this is making me Nuts!! Mind you this is not my daughter pitching. It is an opposing pitcher that we see in two different leagues...
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

This pitcher is legal. PONY and NFHS are the same rules. and both allow a backswing before the delivery.

Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

How many back swings? 1,2, 1000?
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by outathm
PONY and NFHS are the same rules. and both allow a backswing before the delivery.
True.
Quote:
This pitcher is legal.
Not true, because this pitcher (as I understand the description) is making a backswing, starting her forward motion after the backswing, reversing the motion to another backswing, and then reversing again to complete the windmill. The pitch became illegal at the moment I've highlighed in red.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

As I understan it the pitcher is starting her motion withthe backswing. She then goes in to the windmill. If she has gone forward, then yes her motion becomes illegal when she starts back. However, we need to look at what he (pitcher's dad) is saying and then think about what we have actually seen on a softball field.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, we need to look at what he (pitcher's dad) is saying and then think about what we have actually seen on a softball field.
Don't know about what you have seen, but his description seemed pretty clear,
Quote:
hand with ball swings backward and then forward to shoulder height then backward and then finally forward into a windmill motion delivering the pitch.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

I know what his descripton says but in twenty years of fastpitch softball I have nbever seen anything that looks ewven close to this. I have looked like a horses pattot acting this out in the cofee shop as I sheck my E mail and the motions decribed dont fit any normal pitching motions.