The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

How do you handle a catcher who holds her glove in the position that she caught the ball for 5- 10 seconds AFTER you have made your call? Clearly, she is objecting to the call with her body language and it is annoying.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 06:56pm
Never Stop Learning

Call time, go dust off the plate and at the same time talk to the catcher about how you are not showing her up right now so I would expect them not to show me up. If it continues they might have to pay the ultimate price.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I've never really had such
a problem !!
If it happened, I'd probably
just let her know that the pitch was
"too low" "outside" or whatever.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

call time, tell the batter to go talk to her coach, go sweep the plate and let the catcher know if she ever wants a strike called the rest of the game for her pitcher, she had better not show you up again.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

wow.. 10 seconds is a long time. That is definately worth a plate cleaning chat. Usually I'll have a catcher say great pitch to the pitcher.. (even if they know damn well it was a ball and a bad pitch) and I just let that go.. some umps dont like catchers to even frame it, but it doesnt bother me.. a catcher holding her mit for 10 seconds; that is fairly odd. Never seen that and wouldnt tolerate that long at all.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

One of the things I teach my catchers is diplomacy. Sure, try to freeze strikes and frame the close pitches. As a catcher myself in my younger days, I referred to this as "helping" the ump. lol. Nothing wrong with trying to keep the strikes you feel you earned or maybe stealing a close one. But, when the call is made, quickly throw the darn thing back to the pitcher. Be cooperative and be cordial.

Umps, like anybody else, can develop certain feelings that could have a bearing on the strike zone. The pitchers generally don't want to see that zone shrink. I'm sure most umps probably don't let stuff bother them to the point of squeezing a pitcher in retaliation. But, some probably could be moved to such action. Don't take this as an insult. I was raised to believe that contempt breeds contempt. If you treat somebody bad enough, they may return the favor. It's human nature.

Thus, if I see a catcher of mine trying to show up an ump, their day behind the plate is over. Same for any player. Once the call is made, let it go.

Fortunately, most players in our league are playing just for fun. They view the game more as a social function than a sporting event. Thus, it's rare to see a girl get too emotional about game related events. Sometimes it's hard to get them to concentrate on the game at all. lol.

I may have seen one player argue an ump's call all season last year. That player was reprimanded by her coach. Otherwise, we have a really relaxed league.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DNTXUM P
call time, tell the batter to go talk to her coach, go sweep the plate and let the catcher know if she ever wants a strike called the rest of the game for her pitcher, she had better not show you up again.
So you'd cheat the pitcher because of the catcher? SHAME!!!

Bob
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

No I wouldn't cheat the pitcher, but the catcher takes the hint. I've only done that twice it 12 years, but it has worked both times. Usually the catcher will ask where the pitch was and I will tell them. The only ones that hold the ball on you are older girls who don't really know how to catch. Most of my ball is in D=1 and D-2 now and those girls will just talk to you without turning around. It is the 14 to 16 "B" players who do this.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

The pitcher and catcher are one.

I dont think its the crime of the century.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Apr 15th, 2005 at 09:53 AM]
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Call time, and while sweeping the plate ask her not to freeze the pitch because it makes "us" look bad. Be diplamatic to the kid and remember preventative officiating, cause it works.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I've always just told the catcher to throw the ball back to the pitcher, but I like Eddie's approach. Dust off the plate and have a quiet conversation with the catcher. Nobody else needs to know.

There have been a few times when I was struggling with my zone and could tell the catcher was getting frustrated. In these cases, I would just tell the catcher to hang in there with me...it will come around.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

I have the same approach as many but I dont always go to the front and sweep the plate .
Early on in the game I talk to the catcher and say you can talk to me all day but dont turn on me
Generally after an innings or two the catcher knows the strike zone and if you do miss the odd one say so quickly .
You could go to the pitcher and get them to have a word with the catcher .
Put the onus back on the team same as you would if a pitcher is getting annoyed get the catcher to go and have a word with the pitcher .
I think the important point is dont make a big thing about it , do it quietly and discreetly .