The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

I turned on the Oregon -Arizona game today, After first pitch from Arizona I was 90% sure she was leaping. 100% after I saw a slow motion replay. When umping, how sure do you need to be before calling these types of plays? Brian
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

You were not watching the game from the umpires viewpoint. The plate umpire is looking straight at the pitcher, but is focusing on the release point to pick up the ball. Only if the base umpire is behind 1B (no runners) will he/she have a view of the leap. In any other position, the BU is focusing on the pitchers release and the tag foot of the runner.

Only coaches (at 1B and 3B) and tv cameras get great views of leaps.

If I can see a leap, then it is not a case of certainty, but of how much. If I see it - I call it.

However - many pitchers will break contact with the ground. But by how much and how long? If the pivot foot is 1" - 2" off the ground, and if it lands 6" - 12" (arbitrary numbers) in front of the plate, and if the toe is down and the foot goes immediately into a drag (actually the foot is already dragging, its just more visable when touching the ground) then I probably am not going to call a leap.

WMB
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
Only coaches (at 1B and 3B) and tv cameras get great views of leaps.

WMB
That's one of the 1st things I realized as a rookie umpire.

Man, what a wake up call. I did 20 roseries, and 15 hail mary's to all the umpires I gave grief to over the years.

=)
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Hey you have to 100% to make any call .
I agree Westmichblue and realsitically if the pitcher is getting smacked around , who cares .
(That should start some comments )
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

I agree with most, but, this was a 3 umpire crew. There is always someone at 1st or 3rd with the same view as a coach.

Bottom line, just like Cat Osterman, you can't call illegal pitches on Alicia Hollowell, or any top pitcher, and continue to call at that level. If she does something uncommon, yeah, but her standard delivery, just like everyone else's, you call it, and back to ASA rec ball for you.

As Mike has often quoted the Penn coach, you call it their way, or you don't get to call it.

[Edited by AtlUmpSteve on Apr 10th, 2005 at 09:55 AM]