The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

FED game, two man crew, runners on first and second, I'm in "C". Pitcher throws a pitchout, catcher throws behind runner at first, runner at first dives back towards the bag.

I know home plate umpire has the best angle, but according to FED mechanics, who should make the call? This happened last night. I made the call from "C", albeit an easy call to make because the runner was caught sleeping.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBits
FED game, two man crew, runners on first and second, I'm in "C". Pitcher throws a pitchout, catcher throws behind runner at first, runner at first dives back towards the bag.

I know home plate umpire has the best angle, but according to FED mechanics, who should make the call? This happened last night. I made the call from "C", albeit an easy call to make because the runner was caught sleeping.
ONLY softball mechanic I know if is BU covering this call. IF PU has lefty batter, could easily get blocked from a good view...plus they have to watch for the pitch, check swing, obstruction/interference, illegal pitch, etc.

My question: Would anyone go to partner for help (as BU) if coach says, "Blue, you're angle is bad on that play, could you check with partner because you were blocked on the tag?"
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

As clumsy as it is, it is BU's call by standard mechanics.

As said in the other recent "whose call" thread,
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
If we had a 3-man crew for this game, standard mechanics have somebody on top of {the play}.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
My question: Would anyone go to partner for help (as BU) if coach says, "Blue, you're angle is bad on that play, could you check with partner because you were blocked on the tag?"
Assuming I called SAFE, sure if I agreed that I was blocked. And even if I didn't agree, I would check unless the coach was a royal PITA.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

If I felt that I saw the play well, probably not. If it was possible (or even borderline) that I was blocked, I would likely go discuss with PU to see if he had a better angle.

BTW - I think the mechanic of making this BU's primary call is correct most of the time. You still have SOME angle, and less other responsibilities. MOST of the time, you'll be better able to make this call accurately from BU than from PU.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

It is the BU call and he/she should make it. If the coach comes out and ask you nicely if you would check with the PU because he had a different angle, then I would check with my partner for his/her input. The most important thing to remember is "get the call right", not if I got it right.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Hey we are a team out there .
Dont be embarrased or think you are hard assed and you can do it yourself .
If you dont see it ask for help and oftenwith this situation the PU can see things from his angle although the call is BU .
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodchuck
It is the BU call and he/she should make it.... The most important thing to remember is "get the call right", not if I got it right.
I agree.

Also, the FED rules state, in part: 10-3-2 p. 80: "When there is only one Field Umpire, that umpire SHALL make all decisons at first or second base....." [emphasis added]

Keep in mind, while the following is absolutely correct: "get the call right, not if I got it right" the following is also correct:
10-1-4 p. 78 "No umpire shall criticize or interfere with another umpire's decision unless asked by the one making it."

TJ
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Very right .
You may not agree with the call but dont critisize it .
Thats why it is very important to have a post game to discuss this type of thing .
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely, coach.

Quote:
Absolutely. My response to the coach is "Absolutely, coach." Then I go to my partner and ask a very specific question: "Did you see anything that would make me change my call?" If he says no, we're done, and it gives the appearance of working as a team. The coach is usually satisfied, and we appear more approachable as a team. If my partner says yes, then I let him explain it to me, and I make my call. Again, the appearance of approachability and teamwork are bolstered, it takes less than a minute, and it avoids confrontation.

Now if I know that I was right, I'll still say "Absolutely, coach" and go to my partner. My specific statement to my partner at that point is, "I had it all the way, unless you saw something different." He says "no", I turn around and repeat my call. Still gives the apperarance to the coach of approachability.

Now if I know I kicked the call, I'll tell my partner, "I blew that one and I'm changing my call." The I turn around and reverse it. Partner didn't have to say a thing.

Just my rambling thoughts...
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Absolutely, coach.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SRW
Quote:
Again, the appearance of approachability and teamwork are bolstered, it takes less than a minute, and it avoids confrontation.

Now if I know that I was right, I'll still say "Absolutely, coach" and go to my partner. My specific statement to my partner at that point is, "I had it all the way, unless you saw something different." He says "no", I turn around and repeat my call. Still gives the apperarance to the coach of approachability.
I have not subscribed to this way of thinking but would not mind a discussion on it to attempt to change my mind. My thoughts are, if you have it all the way then I always state..."No Coach, it was my call and I saw it all the way, My call stands" That way it keeps them from coming out every close play fishing for a change. If I feel I kicked it or if I think I may not have it right then I will go but on the ones I feel I have all the way I do not. What is everyone else's view?
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Absolutely, coach.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat
My thoughts are, if you have it all the way then I always state..."No Coach, it was my call and I saw it all the way, My call stands" That way it keeps them from coming out every close play fishing for a change.
I'll save that until he actually DOES start coming out on every little thing.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Absolutely, coach.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
So you say that we should go if occasionally asked to appear "approachable" even if we know we got the call right?
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Absolutely, coach.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
So you say that we should go if occasionally asked to appear "approachable" even if we know we got the call right?
Depends. I will want the coach to tell me about something he thinks I missed (e.g. pulled foot) and not just complain about the call. If he tells me he saw something that I missed, even if based on my view of the play I'm sure of the call, I'll tend to give him the respect he deserves. I look at it as good game management.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[/B]
Yup....In a heartbeat.