The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

R1 on 2nd, BU in "C". Ground ball to the in field, thrown to first and then sent across the diamond on the advancing R1 at 3rd.

I think the PU has the 90 degree angle and should take that call at 3rd. The BU may just see the back of the runner. I have been told that the BU should take that call by several pretty experienced umpires.

What are your thoughts on this?

Yippee senior member
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
R1 on 2nd, BU in "C". Ground ball to the in field, thrown to first and then sent across the diamond on the advancing R1 at 3rd.

I think the PU has the 90 degree angle and should take that call at 3rd. The BU may just see the back of the runner. I have been told that the BU should take that call by several pretty experienced umpires.

What are your thoughts on this?

Yippee senior member
Sorry, thought you were younger. [congrats, know what you are referring
to]

Had that exact play last night. I was PU. BU had stepped
in towards 1B for his call. I took the call since I also thought
I had the better position. BU had turned, but hesitated on a call,
so I made it. I agree, PU has best position.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Umpires Manual, 2 man mechanics, runner on 2B only, FP.

Plate Umpire: 2 - If the first play is at 1B, and there is a throw to 3B, the plate umpire has the call at 3B.

Field Umpire: 2 - On any ball hit to the infield, take the first throw (unless it is to home). If the first throw is to 1B, 2B, or 3B, any subsequent throw to 3B is covered by the plate umpire.

WMB
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

I agree base umpire moves in to get as close as possible to throw at first .
PU moves up first base line1 to 2 m (oops sorry you guys still work in feet -- 3 to 6 feet ) to check for int or obs, then button hooks to holding bay 1/2 way up third base line and then if necessary moves up to take call at third .
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Debeau's description of the mechanics and with WMB's citing of ASA's umpire manual. Because that was the second play, Rachel, that belongs to the PU. PU must not move to the holding position & then the calling position too soon as the play at 1B (and possible tag or pulled foot) is where you are most likely to need an ejection - and then get to the play at 3B. BU is going to see little except backsides and on a lousy angle. PU, even at a distance, will still have a much better angle.

And to respond to the coach's whine - Coach, you just saw one of the problems in the 2-man system. If we had a 3-man crew for this game, standard mechanics have somebody on top of both plays.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

It wasn't the coaches whining about it. It is a few umpires (experienced ones) that I work with that have told me that if you are going to use that mechanic (PU take the call) you should discuss it in pre-game. I just wanted to see if there were others out there that thought that. I know that has not been the training I have received.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
It wasn't the coaches whining about it. It is a few umpires (experienced ones) that I work with that have told me that if you are going to use that mechanic (PU take the call) you should discuss it in pre-game. I just wanted to see if there were others out there that thought that. I know that has not been the training I have received.
I would have said the opposite. The standard mechanic in ASA 2-ump system is that the PU always has the call at 3rd if it is the 2nd play in the infield. I would not discuss the need to use a standard mechanic, just the need to vary from it.

I am sure that is what the former ASA Regional UIC and his people teach; I have worked for and with him, Keith C., Pete G., and others several times. I guess you are outside the Twin Cities area.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I'm not talking about them. Those are the people that have trained me.