The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I think I get the player can leave and reenter one time stuff. Rule 3-3-2N2 seems to indicate that a pitcher can only reenter 1 time per inning. Leading me to believe that a pitcher can do this every inning ?

My question is there an exception for pitchers to reenter more than once per game ?

All feedback is greatly appreciated...
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
I think I get the player can leave and reenter one time stuff. Rule 3-3-2N2 seems to indicate that a pitcher can only reenter 1 time per inning. Leading me to believe that a pitcher can do this every inning ?

My question is there an exception for pitchers to reenter more than once per game ?

All feedback is greatly appreciated...
3-3-2 Note 2 is referring to moving the pitcher to a different position on defense, not removing her from the game. Example: moving the pitcher to play F5. In fact, it specifically states that this must also be done in compliance with normal substitution and charged conference rules, so there is no exception for pitchers.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I missed "move to a different defensive position".

So F1 swaps with F4, then swaps back again. This is not considered a reentry sitch because F1 never left game.

But F1 cannot do this a 2nd time.

F1 can swap,reswap.F1 is now pitching again and then swap again, F1 is now F4 but cannot pitch anymore that inning. And none of this constitutes a reentry sitch.?

Hope my post makes sense.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Correct.

Defensive position swaps are never a substitution or a reentry. Coach can shuffle his F1 thru F9 players around as much as he likes.

I would guess the limitation on F1 returning to pitch more than once per inning is to avoid delay that might be caused by coaches overly consumed with strategery (a "W" word).
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Line up Cards

Along these same lines say the coach swaps F6 And F5 do I need to make that change on the line-up card. Also should I report that change to the other team/official scorer ?

Had this come up at JV tourney game. It was bordering on absurd. The coach was swapping beyond alot-not F1 but the F6 with everyone except the sno-cone maker. I started keeping track but stopped after the 7th or 8th swap.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Speaking for myself only, the only positions I keep track of on the lineup card are F1 and F2 (for CR reasons) and DP/FLEX (for obvious reasons).
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

There are no rules around the other positions. In fact, there is no rule that ANYONE has to play third base, or that you can't have 7 third basemen.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref

No one regardless of their position, financially, socially, in the BO or defensively, may reenter the game more than once.