The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 03:36pm

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

Coaches can "perceive" what they want, it doesn't take a throw to the pitcher to demonstrate that I am in control of the game.

I hope you would agree, Mike, that how an official is perceived can determine how he/she is treated by coaches during a game. At the college level, it may mean the difference between recieving and not receiving assignments. It certainly affects post-season assignments. Rule knowledge, good mechanics, and sound judgement are expected. The little things often separate good officials from great ones.

Furthermore, when a coordinator makes a "suggestion", it is expected to be followed. They, not I, determine "what it takes" to work for them. As a state UIC, would you not expect your officials to follow any directives issued by your office?

I, personally, throw the ball to the pitcher at every level I officiate in order to stay in the habit. That is, unless my UIC tells me not to.

I let the ability level of the pitcher determine the pace of the ball and make sure she is indeed paying attention before I do so. I certainly have no desire to injure any player at any level.

Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BHBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

Coaches can "perceive" what they want, it doesn't take a throw to the pitcher to demonstrate that I am in control of the game.

I hope you would agree, Mike, that how an official is perceived can determine how he/she is treated by coaches during a game. At the college level, it may mean the difference between recieving and not receiving assignments. It certainly affects post-season assignments. Rule knowledge, good mechanics, and sound judgement are expected. The little things often separate good officials from great ones.

Furthermore, when a coordinator makes a "suggestion", it is expected to be followed. They, not I, determine "what it takes" to work for them. As a state UIC, would you not expect your officials to follow any directives issued by your office?

I, personally, throw the ball to the pitcher at every level I officiate in order to stay in the habit. That is, unless my UIC tells me not to.

I let the ability level of the pitcher determine the pace of the ball and make sure she is indeed paying attention before I do so. I certainly have no desire to injure any player at any level.
What happens when you are told to throw the ball to the pitcher and it ends up in the outfield? What's the coach's perception going to be then?

I understand what you are saying, but a coach's perception of an umpire is only going to be as good as the last call which affected that coach's team.

I've been involved in coach's evaluations (HS level) of umpires and without knowing or seeing the game, I could determine the outcome of the game EVERY time simply by reading the evaluations.

I've always believed the umpire should handle the ball as little as possible and that includes throwing to the pitcher.

When I give the ball to the catcher, very few people even realize it. If after a HR, I'm inside the diamond following the runner, as the last runner is approaching the plate, I will pull the ball from the bag and once the plate is touched, hand it to the pitcher.

Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 04:11am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you Mike.
It's not a problem of ability in throwing the ball or not.
It's just a matter of RESPECT.

Ball belongs to the game and the game belongs to the players, not to me.

You said you handle the ball only if necessary and I think this is the wisest thing an umpire can do on the field.

If I want to PLAY ball, I wait for a game with my friends.

Another thing: I thank you for the suggestion (related to the other post here) about WHEN give the catcher a new ball.

A.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 05:54pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Antonella

It's not a matter of wanting to play ball. It's about doing what you conference coordinator tells you to do. If you work at that level, you should understand. If not, don't question the "RESPECT" for the game of those who have worked hard and paid the dues to get there.

If your UIC gives you the option of tossing the ball to the catcher, by all means, do what you think is best.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Antonella
...It's just a matter of RESPECT.

Ball belongs to the game and the game belongs to the players, not to me.

Stated very well. Excellent points for not just this situation but of our duties on the field.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BHBlue
[BIt's about doing what you conference coordinator tells you to do.[/B]
I understand the situation you are in. I think the opinions discussed here on this situation are more about what might the best way to handle this without regard to what is mandated by our local associations. I know how the policies are sometimes dictated by others and our outside our control.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

I also go after the batter-runner touches home. Take the ball out of my bag after he touches third, watch him/her touch home then give the ball to the catcher.

I also used to throw the ball back to the pitcher until this one game. First inning I see that the catcher is throwing one-hoppers back the the pitcher. I ask the catcher if he hurt his arm and he says no, the pitcher has a broken bone in his glove hand. So about top of the sixth, batter hits a ball out of play and, you guessed it, I pulled out a ball and fired a strike at the pitcher. he mananged to knock it down with the webbing of the glove and didn't hit his hand, but I quit throwing to pitchers after that.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking strictly NCAA - in most cases after a home run, the catcher is already in the circle with the pitcher. If so, I throw the ball to the pitcher or catcher - whoever is looking for it - after all runners have crossed home plate. If the catcher is still at home plate, I give her the ball and allow her to throw/bring the ball to the pitcher even though Emily wants the PU to throw all balls to the pitcher, not give them to the catcher. Also for NCAA - they want you throwing the ball overhand, not underhand - shows more strength.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Why? You gave the catcher the ball, you know it is legal.
I know, do what the association you are calling wants. I
still can't throw, so don't. Actually tried it last night,
and the second baseperson had to retrieve it. Catcher laughed
and said "blue, better let me to that."

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

If you can't throw, then I would suggest going out and handing her the ball if the catcher is already in the circle. If not, like I said earlier, I give the catcher the ball also, even though Emily prefers we throw it. Or you could learn to throw with your non dominant hand. Or maybe learn to drop kick
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

After a home run, I am out in the diamond watching the touch at all bases. I usaully wind up mdway to pitchers plate frome home. When the batter touches home,pitcher and catcher are usually there, so a gentle toss of about 10' or so is all that's needed. Even with my ex-seperated/arthritic shoulder I can still make that toss. Most of the times the catcher is expecting the ball, the pitcher will still be looking towards the outfield....cussin' or something!
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DNTXUM P
If you can't throw, then I would suggest going out and handing her the ball if the catcher is already in the circle. If not, like I said earlier, I give the catcher the ball also, even though Emily prefers we throw it. Or you could learn to throw with your non dominant hand. Or maybe learn to drop kick
Now, the NCAA specifically tells us NOT to throw a ball to the pitcher after a ball has been fouled out of play; we are mandated to hand that ball to the catcher. How/why is this different? Yeah, I know Emily is the guru, but isn't some consistency in order?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 06:23pm

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
Now, the NCAA specifically tells us NOT to throw a ball to the pitcher after a ball has been fouled out of play; we are mandated to hand that ball to the catcher. How/why is this different? Yeah, I know Emily is the guru, but isn't some consistency in order?
Please enlighten us as to where you heard or read this "mandate".