The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone please delect 03matrix's thread on Test Answers? The dillhole posted a link to the ASA test answers.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Do what?

I realize that some of us are overly impressed with our scores on tests, but that is no reason to post this.
If the Phoenix UIC thinks it is ok to post the test answers, who are you to complain?

Those same answers were available on my associations website, and will be again as soon as we rework the test format for a self-grading test.

Get a grip, you are taking yourself way too serisouly
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

The real issue here is not that someone might cheat, since after all, many associations take "group" tests rather than individual. And most (all?) are open book.

The real issue is, why would someone go to all this trouble to become an umpire and then think he is accomplishing some great scam on the "system" if he cribs the answer to a test? The "scam" is against himself!

Taking the test is a teaching / learning tool, primarily. For a few hours of looking up the rules you have a great refresher - better by far than listening to some GOV drone on and on and a clinic!

If you want to cheat yourself, go ahead. Just don't come here bragging about it and expect any respect.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

I could care less about my guys scores. In fact, it better be 100, the book is open. I just don't want my guys to have an easy, lazy way out. Like Dakota says, the test is a training tool. Heck, even the rules gurus around here gain knowledge from working through a strange scenario. Would we gain that knowledge if the scenario was posted along with an already documented correct answer? Hell no.

What makes this worse is the @$$ that posted this site already received a near-unanimous whipping for merely ASKING for the answers a few weeks ago. From that, he KNEW better than to post that. His only reason for posting was for spite, not to HELP anyone.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Just don't come here bragging about it and expect any respect.
WHILE 03matrix, I DON'T RESPECT!!! You should have keep it to yourself. Posting it is just wrong.

Scottk_61, if you have it on your website, keep to yourself. Don't let others around the country find out.

I see some do take a group test together, we take our own test by ourselfs (open) book. We turn in our exam to our UIC. If you write down the answers on another sheet of paper. Everybody get to ask question after the test is all collected. That is how we do down here!!!!
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Testing and answers

In Seattle we received our new books and the first version of the test in January, and when the revised test was posted we directed everyone to the link on the web. We now have new copies provided by ASA.

We encourage everyone to study and take the test (open book...we want them to research and learn) at their own pace. We have two test nights, one for newbies and another for veterans, for everyone to finish up their tests, have them graded by the UIC and/or deputies, and then have an open discussion and clear up questions and confusion.

I am opposed to the posting of test answers. Everyone should be able to research the rule book. Every answer to every question on that test is in the rule book. If you have questions, several on here have made themselves available to help walk you through the questions and FIND THE ANSWER ON YOUR OWN - WITH GUIDANCE. I am too...just send an e-mail to [email protected].

It infuriates me that apparently some folks either don't have the courage or the wherewithal (I am unsure of which) to ask someone for help. I have several umpires in our Seattle association who come to me. Other umpires go to other folks for guidance. But we never - not to rookies, not to vets - "give" them the answer. IMHO it is wrong to post the answers on a web site that is open to the public. If your association wants a self-grading test then put it somewhere that requires a password or something.

I look forward to scoring 115 on this year's test (yes, I answer the slow pitch questions and the fast pitch questions). Anything less is disappointing to say the least.

And before I get off my soapbox, please read the section beginning with Page 196 and study that just as hard, if not harder, than you do the front part of the book. That part you cannot crib, cheat, take shortcuts or anything else. If you're gonna do one part of it right, why not do the whole thing right?
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
The real issue here is not that someone might cheat, since after all, many associations take "group" tests rather than individual. And most (all?) are open book.

The real issue is, why would someone go to all this trouble to become an umpire and then think he is accomplishing some great scam on the "system" if he cribs the answer to a test? The "scam" is against himself!

You would be surprised! I routinely have to hide the test template in my briefcase because other umpires will try to find and an copy the answers. One year it was stolen. Luckily, I had made a couple of copies.

Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

The Test questions are buried inside the webpage, and noone would know where to look unless they are told by a local person. I sent the link to a couple of people that asked me for it. If they are using it for dishonest means, it will show in their work. I wish he hadnt put the link up, but he did. His choice. His conscience.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by 03matrixrs
az & scott.. thx for the balance in what seems a very one-sided forum - its ok that you might not agree with me linking the site and if i caused you trouble with your peers, my bad - if i knew all of you guys well, i still would have linked it and still smiled and asked hows the family the next time i saw you in wal-mart no matter how any of you felt..dont ya just luv warm fuzzy moments of macho bonding
I didn't agree with you because I like you or how you act.
I stated my position on having the answers availabe and people's attitudes.
From what I see in your posts, you are a bit of a d**** and I don't like your methods.
Don't count me as an admirer, just someone who didn't agree with what others were posting.

[Edited by scottk_61 on Mar 12th, 2005 at 09:36 AM]
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

in our local ASA chapter the SCORE you make on the test is not the emphasis - its discussing and knowing the correct answers. we do the test as a group and discuss anything anyone wants to - it usually takes about 4 hours. i believe there is more benefit from that than TAKING THE TEST and getting a GRADE.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
One year it was stolen.
You have to be kidding! I would think by now that people who want to be umpires would a)have the integrity to not steal, and b)would understand that the test is for their benefit.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Hey 03matrixrs, no negative comments from me. I took the test, was able to grade my answers and I learned from the process. I haven't heard anyone say thanks. So, thanks! My association doesn't even give or go over the test. I downloaded it for a learning experience of my own.

Greatly appreciated and don't worry about what anyone else says. Let them stew over whatever they want all day long. It doesn't ruin our days.

Have a good one.