Thread: MODERATOR!!!
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Testing and answers

In Seattle we received our new books and the first version of the test in January, and when the revised test was posted we directed everyone to the link on the web. We now have new copies provided by ASA.

We encourage everyone to study and take the test (open book...we want them to research and learn) at their own pace. We have two test nights, one for newbies and another for veterans, for everyone to finish up their tests, have them graded by the UIC and/or deputies, and then have an open discussion and clear up questions and confusion.

I am opposed to the posting of test answers. Everyone should be able to research the rule book. Every answer to every question on that test is in the rule book. If you have questions, several on here have made themselves available to help walk you through the questions and FIND THE ANSWER ON YOUR OWN - WITH GUIDANCE. I am too...just send an e-mail to [email protected].

It infuriates me that apparently some folks either don't have the courage or the wherewithal (I am unsure of which) to ask someone for help. I have several umpires in our Seattle association who come to me. Other umpires go to other folks for guidance. But we never - not to rookies, not to vets - "give" them the answer. IMHO it is wrong to post the answers on a web site that is open to the public. If your association wants a self-grading test then put it somewhere that requires a password or something.

I look forward to scoring 115 on this year's test (yes, I answer the slow pitch questions and the fast pitch questions). Anything less is disappointing to say the least.

And before I get off my soapbox, please read the section beginning with Page 196 and study that just as hard, if not harder, than you do the front part of the book. That part you cannot crib, cheat, take shortcuts or anything else. If you're gonna do one part of it right, why not do the whole thing right?