The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

I thought I'd put something out here on the national school that I just got back from. I did not have the time or money to attend early in my umping years - but it would have been really beneficial if I could have gone.

We have 80 or so umps there ranging from under 1 year of experience to over 30 years of experience. The various skill levels showed and were recognized by the instructors by the feedback. We ALL had something that needed to be worked on or adjusted. I was fortunate in that 1 of those who evaluated me has now done 4 evaluations on me in the past year - I'm pleased to say that he noted that his past adjustments have been made and have stuck.

This was well worth the time. We had about half of the time in the classroom and the other half "on the field" - here in Pa, the field was actually the fieldhouse(gym). That was the only drawback to our session - with 80 folks working on mechanics in a gym, it got really loud - too loud.

Whether you're a new ump looking for formal training or an old fart looking to break some bad habits or get some polish, attend one of these if you have the chance.

I neglected to mention this, so I'm adding this as an edit - Mike Rowe came up to the sessions both days and we got acquainted. Good to have a face to put with the name. (He's like me - all his gray is in his beard, so when clean shaven we look younger) The evening sessions - at the hotel's hospitality room were almost as good as the classroom sessions. You can pick up a lot sitting around talking with other umps in a casual setting.

[Edited by Steve M on Feb 25th, 2001 at 09:57 PM]
Old Mon Feb 26, 2001, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Steve. Did you have to tell them about the grey? Now everyone is going to think I'm an old fart!
Old Mon Feb 26, 2001, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
ROFL. The only reason you didn't see my grey is that I shaved on Wednesday. But we all already knew that anyone who is a state uic or deputy has to be experienced enough to be a really old fart. It really was good to meet you & put a face with the name. My short Irish broad & old blue hen wife sez she wants to know where the name Irishmafia came from.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2001, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

IRISHMAFIA was the name of a drinking team with a softball problem. We were one of the few teams that had a full-time lawyer to keep us out of jail. They're pretty strict in Delaware about public drinking after ball games.

We didn't do too bad. We played C ball and did okay for ourselves.

Old Tue Feb 27, 2001, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up National Schools, a great experience...

I've attended two ASA National Schools (Tidewater Virginia and P.G. County, Maryland) and have found them to be extremely informative and beneficial. The benefits go beyond the actual school curriculum, it includes the opportunities to meet and share ideas with fellow umpires from around the country. Each new clinic or school is another opportunity to share knowledge with others and build comradery amongst our fellow umpires. In June, I'll be attending the ASA Advanced School in Killeen, TX. If anyone else on the board is planning to attend, I'd love to hear from you. It's sure to be another worthwhile experience.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2001, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'll attend the advanced school next year or the year after. 'Course, by June, I'm doing 20 or so games of fast pitch a week. So, that will be tough to schedule around for me.